Where do you think the edge of London is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The simplest answer, is the edge of Sadiq Khan's range, viz

_YB_AllSectors_Map.gif

Other definitions I have heard.
  1. Inside M25, but that puts Cobham (for example) in London, and it really isn't.
  2. Directional postcodes eg SW18 (south west) is in, but KT8 (Kingston) is out. I reject that on the arbitrary basis that would mean I have never lived in London.
  3. My favourite, from Time Out a few years ago: if there is a Harvester, you're not in London. Probably controversial.
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 23.04.22.jpg

Anyone have an interesting definition of London?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
When I lived in Ruislip I defined London as inside the M25... it seemed reasonable enough at the time. A friend of mine insisted I didn't live in London, but my local emergency services were the Met, the LFB and the LAS. My council tax was paid to the London Borough of Hillingdon, and I had a London Underground station on my doorstep. Oh and the rents were f!cking astronomical. I'm not sure what else would have convinced him.

Tim Hall

A simple one is phone number based. Any phone number beginning 020 is London. So Kingston is in but Havering (I think) is out.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Orpington is out as it's 01689. However, it's in the London borough of Bromley. Though people so still use Kent in their addresses.

classic33

Leg End Member
When I lived in Ruislip I defined London as inside the M25... it seemed reasonable enough at the time. A friend of mine insisted I didn't live in London, but my local emergency services were the Met, the LFB and the LAS. My council tax was paid to the London Borough of Hillingdon, and I had a London Underground station on my doorstep. Oh and the rents were f!cking astronomical. I'm not sure what else would have convinced him.
Hillingdon, Middlesex?

CanucksTraveller

Orpington is out as it's 01689. However, it's in the London borough of Bromley. Though people so still use Kent in their addresses.
I think the borough thing holds a lot of water.... London's spread over the years and continues to do so, so it's an ever changing definition, but I'd say a good clue is whether your address sits in a London borough or not.

TVC

Anyone have an interesting definition of London?
Nope.

Lets also remember that the people who make London the capital; the politicians, the bankers, the businessmen, the theatrical entrepeneurs don't actually live there, they live in the home counties because they are too rich and too smart to reside in that smog ridden, overcrowded, poverty laden hell hole. Even the Queen only stays there when necessary.

Obviously I'm not London bashing

CanucksTraveller

Hillingdon, Middlesex?
Well yeah, it's a good point. But as I said in another post, London grows. So did I live in Ruislip in Middlesex, or in Ruislip in the London borough of Hillingdon? I suppose it depends on when we're referring to. My daughter was born in Hillingdon as per her passport. Years ago, Hillingdon would have been a town in a county, now it's swallowed up, and I suspect for brevity my daughter will in future tell people that she was born in west London.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ah, forgot the phone number thing. Of course, back in the day, you could restrict it to 0171

030 is being allocated in London (and elsewhere?) so that ruins that.
030 is national. Maybe you were thinking of 020 or possibly 0203. But all phone numbers are arbitrary now, really: my work number is still 01934 even though our office there closed 5 years ago.

Top Bottom