Where do you think the edge of London is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
As per the other thread, my definition was that once you started seeing hedges you had left London.

These days I can vote in mayoral elections, Bromley is both London and Kent for some long boring reason...so I'm still in London despite the hedgerows.

A simple one is phone number based. Any phone number beginning 020 is London. So Kingston is in but Havering (I think) is out.

If you're still using landlines then you aren't a Londoner I'd recognise....

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
IMG_1297.GIF

The TfL zoning map is a good option. But only within Zone 5.
There are lots of Londoners who would consider anything outside of Zone 2 as the sticks.

Isn't there a wall or electrified fence patrolled by serious people with land sharks?

Nope.

Lets also remember that the people who make London the capital; the politicians, the bankers, the businessmen, the theatrical entrepeneurs don't actually live there, they live in the home counties because they are too rich and too smart to reside in that smog ridden, overcrowded, poverty laden hell hole. Even the Queen only stays there when necessary.

Obviously I'm not London bashing
Do they? Not usually from what I see. A massive amount of multi million pound houses and flats are occupied by whom? A quick walk around Canary Wharf, Notting hill, Kensington, Hampstead, Holland Park etc etc will tell you otherwise.

Reactions: TVC

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Like many geographical descriptors (see the claim that Scotland is the most beautiful country) "London" is fuzzy. The boundaries of political London are clearly drawn (either at the edge of the London Boroughs or the edge of the Corporation of the City of London), but political geography isn't the only geography.

My favourite physical definition is the one used by the census folk (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_London_Built-up_Area#), which includes Guildford, Harlow and St Albans.

Top Bottom