Where have all the anti-vaxxers gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Johnno - But this can be true, as @winjim says. Maths and statistics aren't all lies used to deceive us, but can be used mendaciously or to mislead.
If a claim is made, you surely support checking it referring to reliable 'facts' using transparent maths as needed.
Theoretical propositions do need to be demonstrated empirically and sometimes complex maths is required to analyse the data. What we need is a culture where we can allow the experts to interpret and explain the maths in a way that a lay person can understand and importantly, trust. Which is fine, and things can be simplified to a certain extent, but how do you do that while trying to overcome the biases of someone in the entrenched position of a fundamentalist antivaxxer?

Personally I think you can't, which is why you should target the undecideds and not the fundies.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The quote "Lies, damn lies and statistics" comes to mind.
Or more accurately, "Figures won't lie, but liars will figure" (attributed to Twain)

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
"I've had a bit of Covid...." The anti vaxxer's word play. Would he say "I've had a bit of syphilis", or "A bit of plague."?
Can you vaccinate against syphillis? Just asking; for a friend.
(Is raining here, otherwise I would enjoying a long ride. Hoping it will clear by this afternoon.)

winjim

Smash the cistern
"I've had a bit of Covid...." The anti vaxxer's word play. Would he say "I've had a bit of syphilis", or "A bit of plague."?
I noticed the caption reading 'Richard has achieved chart success over a number of decades with Right Said Fred' and was going to make a joke about the number of decades being one. Then I looked it up and saw that they reached No18 in 2001 so they've actually had chart success over two decades. Who knew?

Johnno260

Veteran
@winjim @Ajax Bay oh for sure but this guy as an example is a flat earther and Covid denier, if you use maths to explain anything he basically says uh oh maths is a lie, or he makes the claim all Covid deaths are exclusively vaccinated, but if you give him actually numbers and evidence it’s a lie.

also gravity is a lie to him.

Johnno260

Veteran
Was he dropped on his head as a baby?
Best reason I heard yet for many of these people I’m going with that!!

I should’ve explained the story of that post more but like I said he said that after some Covid claims and flat earth stuff, but I had time for a longer bike ride and wanted out the door ASAP haha

But you can’t use gravity to explain it as that’s for kids, and while the linear speed at the equator is 1000mph it’s scale, a better measure is 15 degree per hour, now to scale that down, sit on a kids Merry go round that rotates once every 24hrs and tell me that’s fast haha

Reactions: C R

Milzy

Guru

I should’ve explained the story of that post more but like I said he said that after some Covid claims and flat earth stuff, but I had time for a longer bike ride and wanted out the door ASAP haha

View attachment 605293
But you can’t use gravity to explain it as that’s for kids, and while the linear speed at the equator is 1000mph it’s scale, a better measure is 15 degree per hour, now to scale that down, sit on a kids Merry go round that rotates once every 24hrs and tell me that’s fast haha
I still find it fascinating that mass pulls things towards it. Learn all the science you want it’s just bizarre but the wonders of the universe are really strange.

winjim

Smash the cistern

View attachment 605293
I agree that just saying 'it's gravity' is insufficient as knowing the name of a thing is not the same as knowing the thing. But, you'll find that five year olds have fertile imaginations and are able to grasp the Einsteinian model of curved space-time pretty well.

Johnno260

Veteran
I agree that just saying 'it's gravity' is insufficient as knowing the name of a thing is not the same as knowing the thing. But, you'll find that five year olds have fertile imaginations and are able to grasp the Einsteinian model of curved space-time pretty well.

true but it’s how satellites work, the ISS is a classic example of speed and gravity.

There is a fantastic test in a vacuum chamber with a bowling ball and a feather, what hits the ground first.

Flat earthers can never answer simple questions:

1) why can’t I see Polaris from the Southern Hemisphere.
2) why can’t I see the Southern cross from the northern hemisphere.
3) why can I view container ships disappear over the the horizon bottom first.
4) why can I view celestial objects that are globe looking and have observable rotation (looking at you Jupiter)

Also asking someone to demonstrate gravity or how water sticks to a globe is kinda hard with a practical test, how can something within earths sphere of influence compete against the mass of the planet, it’s kind of a straw man argument.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Remember when I posted about a mate who hadn't been jabbed, but was fit as a fiddle (postie). He very nearly died with covid. Well, asked one of his colleagues yesterday and he's still not well enough to return to work.

Poison my aris. He's desperate to get the jab now.

Anti vaxxers will go the way of the dodo.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The businesses that choose to only have in jibbies will be the first to feel the pain I suspect look at Moscow jibby pxssport lasted 3 weeks as everyone including the jibbies boycotted places that went with the narrative?! You think it’s about your health and the nation’s health??
Well you can talk about Russia if you wish, you're clearly the expert. But here in the UK where 90% of the UK over 16 have received at least 1 dose and over 75% have been double jabbed and increasing, i would would wager businesses can make their decision on who they allow on their premises with confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom