Where is (or was) your favourite market?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I live and always have in Great Harwood which is 3 to 4 miles from Accrington depending on whether you cycle,walk, or drive there. 'Arrod' was known as a market town hundreds of years ago and i can remember the town square having about 20 stalls on Friday mornings,but now i pass and see about 1 or 2 there.

1612830151942.png

1612830545721.png

Attachments

• 1612830426881.png
    1612830426881.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Lancashire wise,Bury and Fleetwood markets were very popular 'back in the day'. Accy market is in a nice Victorian building,but it's only half full. According to reports the rent it very high,so quite a lot of stall holders have moved out.
View attachment 572900
yes Accrington market hall is a great building - happy that it has survived.
As you say the market within it is somewhat disappointing.
Markets are in terminal decline I fear. I was talking to a stallholder in East Street (just off the Walworth road south London, street Chaplin was born in) a while ago and he told me this - folk can get cheap stuff off the bay/online these days.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Lancashire wise,Bury and Fleetwood markets were very popular 'back in the day'. Accy market is in a nice Victorian building,but it's only half full. According to reports the rent it very high,so quite a lot of stall holders have moved out.
View attachment 572900
We were told about Burnley market so, maybe 15 years ago we travelled there.
It was ok.......if black puddings are your thing :wacko:.
Re the rates that council charge stall holders. There were a good number here that believe the council are really trying to force them out then, maybe sell the building/land.
If so it certainly worked here........all gone bar a few fresh food stalls that also moved elsewhere. EVERY clothes/household stall simply folded.
Now......with them gone, BHS etc gone we are being forced to buy online.

We were told about Burnley market so, maybe 15 years ago we travelled there.
It was ok.......if black puddings are your thing :wacko:.
Re the rates that council charge stall holders. There were a good number here that believe the council are really trying to force them out then, maybe sell the building/land.
If so it certainly worked here........all gone bar a few fresh food stalls that also moved elsewhere. EVERY clothes/household stall simply folded.
Now......with them gone, BHS etc gone we are being forced to buy online.
yep burnley market seen better days.
As a very young kid I was very impressed by its outside escalator though.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Local markets were and should be encouraged again. It is brilliant for local people, traders and produce. Big chains and out of town retail parks and the internet are slowly turning once thriving towns and villages in to ghost towns. There are inventive and innovative people out there trying to adapt though.

When folks can travel again, I can recommend San Benedetto market, Cagliari, Sardinia.

Might not look much, covered in graffiti and tatty ad posters, Leeds market and others put it to shame as a building.
But it's very large (2 floors) and full of delights.
One floor is pretty much fish and I can recommend the stall in one corner of that floor that will sell you a big open bag of assorted fried fishy bits and pieces. Also does loose/draught wine - bring your own bottle.

I was brought up living in a flat above a shop in the Portobello road, not the posh end but where the fruit, veg and junk stalls were, close to Ladbroke Grove.
I have always hated markets since those days. The crowds outside, the junk left by the market traders and the general noise.
My ex wife loved them and really liked the street market in Lymington so I spent many an unhappy hour being dragged around them.
Luckily the current Mrs Oldworld hates them as much a I do.:okay:

Piece Hall Market, Friday and Saturday. They then introduced a second hand market on the Thursday.

Whist I applaud the restoration work that's gone on, the last time we were there, quite a few units were empty
It was nice though, to find all the worn staircases in the corners, from countless feet using them

Sorry, can't find them in a file, so it's a social media link

Note the (in)famous Trooper Lane climbing the hill in the distance..

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10213018358485935&set=a.10212123010662799

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10213018354405833&set=a.10212123010662799

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10213018356005873&set=a.10212123010662799

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10213018355965872&set=a.10212123010662799

I've exhibited in there, myself on a few occasions

I'm in the top-left corner, in a green 110
gdbdgvbgvb g.jpg

Top Bottom