Where is (or was) your favourite market?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
You know the ones.....where you can/could spend a few enjoyable hours and get everything you needed including food.
Younger CCrs may not recall when virtually every town had an excellent market...... before the big malls came along.
When I moved to Warrington the 2 BIG markets were fantastic. You could get everything, even carpets.
All gone now :sad:. There is just one small market with food....not one clothing stall.
Sad.....but I suppose we are all culpable.

D

Deleted member 26715

We used to like the big outdoor markets that sprung up in the 80's (I think) on an old airfield, or a framers field. Was it to get around Sunday trading laws?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We used to like the big outdoor markets that sprung up in the 80's (I think) on an old airfield, or a framers field. Was it to get around Sunday trading laws?
There was a fantastic one at Bootle (north Liverpool) every Sunday.
20 miles away from us but a great Sunday morning out and we could stock up on fresh produce plus have a good breckie.
Then one Sunday it just wasn't there :sad:.

Leedafeeder

Regular
Even Lancaster's market was quite good.
Sadly now gone.
They have a outdoor food market on a Wednesday but it's full of'artisan' foods. Poncy.
No clothes shops. I used to enjoy buying my thermals from the clothes lady - sadly now gone. 😀😀

Leeds
Primarily because of the wonderful, surviving, Victorian section
Opened in 1857, designed by Joseph Paxton (of Crystal Palace Exhibition Hall fame)

Still, apparantly, the largest covered market in Europe
(but with 1970s/1980s rebuilding in parts, due to a fire)

Most of these photos date to 2004/2005

The Vicar Lane/KirkGate facade

The above entrance

Turned around, looking along the Vicar Lane side (VL to left)

Marks & Spencers Centenary clock, roughly where there stall was (when they started trading, in the Hall)

Cast-iron stanchions to the stalls

As a kid, I used to get taken to Barnsley Market a lot, particularly when my father could afford a car
That was even though a bus went to Leeds, from 50yards from home, to the Bus Station, which was adjacent to the outdoor market
(maybe parking was easier/cheaper at Barnsley?)

That had (may still have?) an upstairs, & seemed huge to a 10 year old
Plus all those strange accents........... (of The Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire)

Mtbsensa

Regular
I don't remember the names but some of the old markets in Berlin were truly magical, especially around christmas!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Camden market was great many years ago but not now. Norwich had a good market as well but not been in years.
Camden was fantastic. If working anywhere near I would try to visit.
I recall working there for a few days and was able to take MrsD. The food stalls were amazing.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
A couple years ago someone told me that Altrincham market was a must.
So......2 horrible bus journeys bus journeys and we arrived.
Less than an hour later we were on the bus back home......dreadful.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The Covered Market in Oxford is always worth a stroll - you'll see boutique shoes, cafes, leather goods and whole animal carcasses amongst other things.

I remember when "market day" was a thing - you knew when each town had its market day and what each town's market was best for. The town I grew up in was famous for tomatoes and up the road was a big wool industry town. I suppose these days they are mostly cheap clothes and plastic tat, although I'd guess that butchers, grocers etc will ply their wares - I haven't been to a proper market for years.

Top Bottom