Where is (or was) your favourite market?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Oswestry indoor market in the 1970s. We used to buy toys there on a Saturday with our pocket money. I went back there recently and it was half empty.

pawl

Legendary Member
?
Loughborough street market Loughborough is my hometown.Used to visit most Saturdays Haven't been for several months due to pandemic I believe it’s still taking place will have to check
Market Bosworth monthly farmers although not that big usually has a good range of products.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
?
Loughborough street market Loughborough is my hometown.Used to visit most Saturdays Haven't been for several months due to pandemic I believe it’s still taking place will have to check
Market Bosworth monthly farmers although not that big usually has a good range of products.
I also visit both those markets. Have bought most of my hats from Earland Brother's stall at Loughborough.
The farmer's market is Sunday having been in Ashby the Saturday.
I used to love Doncaster market. The last time we went we went to the "Clam and Cork"
1612788975098.png

For a drink and snack. It's in the fish market. As a kid loved a plate of prawns from one of the few stalls. "Penny's" butchers in the meat market and a trip to the deli (they now have a fantastic shop beneath the new Premier Inn on High Fishergate).
You can't beat a good market. Just hope they come back after all this is over.

stephec

Legendary Member
Bolton Market Hall used to have plenty of variety and a Victorian style to it, then it was ripped apart and replaced by lots of glass and chain shops.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Weekly in summer and some days in winter there is a market which is now outdoors in Tobermory. Sells some crafty stuff but a lot of food from vegetables to meat, cheese and fish. Good choice of local beef, lamb and pork.
I remember being in the underground one in Harrogate when we went there for Trade Fairs. Now shut down I think.

PapaZita

Guru
I remember Newcastle's Grainger Market from my childhood. It had quite a distinctive smell. Men in white coats would emerge from the fog of diesel fumes on Grainger St. with animal carcasses on their shoulders, and a man would shout "Ronnie Gill" which apparently helped to sell newspapers.

sheddy

Legendary Member

A very limited selection.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I liked Watford Market before it got moved to some shipping containers next to the flyover. I wasn't a great market exactly but it was nearby and for some stuff it beat shopping elsewhere. On Saturday I'd buy nuts and dry stuff (rice and couscous etc.), sometimes fruit and vegetables. I liked going to the Yummy Chinese restaurant for lunch (lunch was all you could get, it closed in the early afternoon). It was run by these very old women, place looked like it hadn't changed since the 70s. I'd have a main course- usually the same thing- and a bottle of Calsberg for less than a tenner. They had the most limited range of desserts (like apple fritter or banana fritter). It was the greatest.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I liked Watford Market before it got moved to some shipping containers next to the flyover. I wasn't a great market exactly but it was nearby and for some stuff it beat shopping elsewhere. On Saturday I'd buy nuts and dry stuff (rice and couscous etc.), sometimes fruit and vegetables. I liked going to the Yummy Chinese restaurant for lunch (lunch was all you could get, it closed in the early afternoon). It was run by these very old women, place looked like it hadn't changed since the 70s. I'd have a main course- usually the same thing- and a bottle of Calsberg for less than a tenner. They had the most limited range of desserts (like apple fritter or banana fritter). It was the greatest.

A bit of Googling suggests it opened in the 80s. Closed in 2013.

I found this in part of a review on Tripadvisor: "The downside of Yummy is the location, overlooking the market on one side and a concrete shopping area on the other" - this for me was a significant positive feature.

Camden market was great many years ago but not now. Norwich had a good market as well but not been in years.
Norwich market is better than ever and has low bar for new traders to try out for a week or so.
The established traders in fruit, veg, fish, meat cheese and dried goods are still there alongside the vacune cleaner parts guy, the foam guy and the habidashiry lady. Lucys chips is joined by a swathe of street food vendors inc aranchini stall and home made lasagne.
I adopt a use it or lose it policy when it comes to small local traders
The market has a home delivery service now.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Norwich market is better than ever.
The established traders in fruit, veg, fish, meat cheese and dried goods are still there alongside the vacune cleaner parts guy, the foam guy and the habidashiry lady. Lucys chips is joined by a swathe of street food vendors inc aranchini stall and home made lasagne.
I adopt a use it or lose it policy when it comes to small local traders

Do they still have the stall that sold deep fried pieces of tripe?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I remember Newcastle's Grainger Market from my childhood. It had quite a distinctive smell. Men in white coats would emerge from the fog of diesel fumes on Grainger St. with animal carcasses on their shoulders, and a man would shout "Ronnie Gill" which apparently helped to sell newspapers.

Still going, at least it was before Covid, haven't been to Newcastle for 11 months now!

Top Bottom