Where to buy triple chain ring bolts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
:banghead:

Where on earth can I get these things? There are heaps of web pages advertising double chain ring bolts, even one with triple chain ring bolts, but for 4-armed crank spiders, and I need bolts for 5-armed.

My triple chain ring setup is basically a fairly standard Shimano Tiagra type setup, in which the large and medium rings are attached to either side of the spider's arms using 1 set of 5 pairs of bolts, while the other set of 5 pairs of bolts (including 5 spacer washers) attach the small ring to the medium ring. I hope that makes sense?

I'll be discussing this with a local bike shop this coming weekend, but I'd prefer to order them online. I placed an order in late February via an Amazon-linked vendor, but that went pear-shaped, and I've given up on that vendor (and any hope of seeing the money I paid).

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Are you willing to pay shipping from the UK? Are any on this Spa Cycles page suitable?

They are a small outfit so I suspect with a little sweet talking they will ship to Oz. I have never dealt with them but have heard they can be brusque so it will pay to be friendly and sound a bit desperate and flatter them as touring experts.

I've used both Spa and SJS with no problems whatsoever; I'm in the UK. SJS tend to be my go-to for most touring stuff, 5 orders last year, 3 so far in 2018. Have a look on their websites, they both refer to exporting. SJS have a facility to ask questions about an item from the page of the item. A reply is usually given within a working day.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've used both Spa and SJS with no problems whatsoever; I'm in the UK. SJS tend to be my go-to for most touring stuff, 5 orders last year, 3 so far in 2018. Have a look on their websites, they both refer to exporting. SJS have a facility to ask questions about an item from the page of the item. A reply is usually given within a working day.
Yes, I've bought a few things from SJS previously, and had no problems with them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got some from Spa Cycles on the way back from a TdY stage a couple of years ago. (That shop is not easy to find!)

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
You need a set of five double ring bolts for the two big rings and one set of inner ring bolts for the granny.
Yes, my triple crankset has 5 pairs of bolts holding the large and medium chain rings to the spider, and another 5 pairs of bolts (plus 5 spacer washers) holding the medium and small chain rings to each other. There's actually only 1 bolt I'm missing, which is why I'm still able to ride the bike: it's one of the bolts holding the small and medium chain rings together, and it's the one closest to the frame. It's paired bolt is actually held in place by the small chain ring, conveniently enough, which makes the whole 19-bolt arrangement even more stable. :thumbsup:

I just don't like seeing it missing a bolt, though, because this Vivente tourer is my commuter, which I've done well over 115,000km on over 9.5 years now, and it's my pride and joy. :wub:

Yes, my triple crankset has 5 pairs of bolts holding the large and medium chain rings to the spider, and another 5 pairs of bolts (plus 5 spacer washers) holding the medium and small chain rings to each other. There's actually only 1 bolt I'm missing, which is why I'm still able to ride the bike: it's one of the bolts holding the small and medium chain rings together, and it's the one closest to the frame. It's paired bolt is actually held in place by the small chain ring, conveniently enough, which makes the whole 19-bolt arrangement even more stable. :thumbsup:

I just don't like seeing it missing a bolt, though, because this Vivente tourer is my commuter, which I've done well over 115,000km on over 9.5 years now, and it's my pride and joy. :wub:

Any chance of getting a used one locally off a scrapper?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Yes, my triple crankset has 5 pairs of bolts holding the large and medium chain rings to the spider, and another 5 pairs of bolts (plus 5 spacer washers) holding the medium and small chain rings to each other.
It sounds like you don't have a triple crankset, but a double crankset with a triple converter chainring similar to this one from Spa
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s149p1141/STRONGLIGHT-130-74-BCD-Adaptor-ring

A normal triple crankset would have the large and medium chainrings mounted to the spider using the same sleeve bolts, in the same way as your crankset (or any double crankset), and the small chainring mounted to a separate set of bolt holes on the back of the spider arms (as seen on the smaller photo on this page)

I'd suggest phoning or emailing either Spa or SJS to ask about the bolts & spacers. I'd suspect they may just be another set of double chainring bolts with a spacer the same thickness as the middle/outer spider tabs.

Personally, I'd bite the bullet and replace the chainset with a regular triple. The converter chainrings are uncommon, expensive, and being the middle chainring, are in the position where they would normally wear out fastest.

Top Bottom