Where to find 28" tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

The usual suspects don't seem to stock them.

Current tyre is 37–622 (or 28×15/8×13/8 or 700×35C)

What sizes would fit on this? It's not my bike, I only know understand tyre sizing! Would prefer semi-slick if possible.

Thanks,
Colin

RedBike

They're just standard 700c tyres road bike tyres (ignore the confussing 28" bit).

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

So could they take a tyre listed as 26 x 1.5? I've no idea what all those numbers mean :

Norm

colinr said:
So could they take a tyre listed as 26 x 1.5?
No.

There are basically 2 tyres sizes (others exist but are pretty unusual). In general terms, off-road bikes have 26" wheels, road bikes have 700c wheels which are approximately 28". You need a 700c tyre.

Fiona N

Veteran
+1 Norm

Google tyres for 622 (I think this is referred to as the ISO wheel size) - the first part of the tyre size is the width of the tyre itself (in mm) so 23-622, 25-622, 28-622 and 35-622 are just increasingly cushy tyres for a 700 wheel.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Thanks. Google ahoy!

For our entertainment we asked this same question in Halfords. The guy just read the "28 x 1 1/8" off the walk then wandered off to do something else - a reputation well deserved!

RedBike

622 is the wheel size. 28" is the nominal tyre diameter.

Basically any tyre listed as 700x"something" should fit.
The "something" number is the width of the tyre. IE Your existing tyres are 35mm.

You might have trouble with extremely narrow/wide tyres but a few mm either way of 35mm is unlikely to make any difference.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

That's a mind boggling amount of info from Sheldon. I did check that but didn't understand it so asked here.

Anyway, the unwanted 26mm stock Kendas off my bike fitted so traded them for a box of cereal and all sorted ta.

Top Bottom