Where were you 25 years ago when Ceausescu was killed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I remember very well, I was spending Christmas at my parents'. Events in Romania had been getting more and more dramatic for several days and I had been waiting for the TV news to find out the latest, but then as now the airwaves were given over to lightweight Christmas pap and the news of the double execution (Nicolae and Elena) when it came barely merited a couple of sentences from the announcer - I think the entire news bulletin for that day was cut down to 5 minutes.

stephec

Legendary Member
In being day Desert Orchid won the King George VI that year so I'll have won cash
Now you've reminded me where I was, my cousin was a jockey at the time and won a race at that meeting.

As it was raining non of us wanted to walk five minutes from the pub to the bookies to back him at 25/1. :sad:_

robjh

Legendary Member
Do you seriously remember what you were doing that day, like many people with the Kennedy assassination or when the World Trade Centre fell?

Isn't that a bit strange?
If you were interested in the epoch-changing events in Eastern Europe that autumn then it isn't strange. The Romanian revolution along with the opening of the Berlin Wall were simply the most dramatic events in a whole series of dramatic changes - and as I said, if you were interested in that part of Europe it was gripping.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have a hard enough time trying to remember what I did last week, let alone what I was doing in 1989.. is it Saturday today?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
It sort of sticks in my memory as it was 1st Christmas after completely leaving home & study and having my own place in Manchester. At work over the festive period and with the future in-laws on Christmas Day.

As for Kennedy : Born in 1968 so jiggling about in an ovary somewhere.

Moon landing : I was just over 6 months old, apparently my folks had an argument as to whether to get me up to watch it or not. Mum won and I stayed asleep through it.

Lockerbie : A place I know well. Sticks hard in the memory. On the Blaydon Bypass going home for Christmas from Manchester Poly

9/11 on late shift at work, glued to the radio & getting texts from people telling me what was happening on TV coverage.

Now you've reminded me where I was, my cousin was a jockey at the time and won a race at that meeting.

As it was raining non of us wanted to walk five minutes from the pub to the bookies to back him at 25/1. :sad:_

The bookies was next to the pub, so we used to take turns to nip next door - Boxing Day usually resulted in us having a betting pot and some decent wins shared around the table.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I was at the peak of self destruction..so no idea exactly ? I would have been partying..
I do remember what I was doing when the towers were being toppled tho..

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Isn't that a bit strange?[/QUOTE]
Do you seriously remember what you were doing that day, like many people with the Kennedy assassination or when the World Trade Centre fell?

Isn't that a bit strange?
Not really,but if it hadn't been for the buying the bottle of wine under the counter style,the event might have faded from my mind? I went in the same shop the other day. I asked if the bloke who served me that day was still around. They told me that he went back to India about 10 years ago.

stephec

Legendary Member
The bookies was next to the pub, so we used to take turns to nip next door - Boxing Day usually resulted in us having a betting pot and some decent wins shared around the table.
That sounds like a pub I used to work in when I was at college, Saturday afternoon was one of my favourite shifts. :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
I remember it quite clearly and it seemed to be done quite barbarically, disorderly, almost more like a lynching. Not saying they deserved it, they apparently treated the people like cattle.
Moon landings were watched with excitement ..every minute was greedily absorbed by the family in our living room at 95 Coneygrey Spinney, Flintham, Notts. Thats pretty specific eh.
9/11...I happened to turn on the news on the PC at work in our workshop as it was kicking off...the two of us hardly took our eyes off the computer screen for the rest of the day.
Princess Diana, sat down with a cuppa before work and as usual turned on the news. That was a shocker, I left a note for the wife for when she woke up .

As robjh says, that period was full of the slow breakup of the Soviet Block, ther e always seemed to be something happening, very momentous times.

9/11 on late shift at work, glued to the radio & getting texts from people telling me what was happening on TV coverage.

That one I can remember because my wife was on a training course in London and we were trying to work out how to get her home given the travel chaos as various places were shut and reopened

Top Bottom