Where's Cav Going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris.IOW

So Cavendish has said he knows where he'll be next year but isn't telling us yet.

I personally wouldn't like to see him at Sky, the team have said there goal is to go for GC's and I can't see how a team can chase down breaks to give a sprinter a chance to win and support a GC contender.

I think he's agreed to stay where he is at present but can't say yet as it's all tied up with a new sponsorship deal for the team which had yet to be announced.

What do others think?

raindog

er.....
He was sort of hinting it would be HTC with a new sponsor wasn't he? He obviously can"t say untill the sponsorship is signed. Then a couple weeks ago there was rumour that he wasn't far off signing with Quickstep, who will probably join up with Omega for next season. We may as well just wait untill everything's official.

monnet

Guru
I read his interview as sounding like Stapleton's got new sponsors lined up and so he'll stay put.

According to the Times this morning (would love to put a link but we all know why I can't) he's not going to be joining Sky. Interesting as The Times have done a fair bit of flag waving to the effect that a Sky deal was all but done and obviously you'd think if anyone would have an inside track on Sky's goings on it would be The Times. THey reckoned that Stapleton's found a likely sponsor but they will only comit if Cavendish is in the team (which makes sense).

I guess all we do is wait for a few weeks now.

monnet

Guru
+1, and it will be a mess for all concerned if he ends up in Sky.

Somewhat off-topic but do we know what sort of national team will there be with him in Copenhagen next month?

Well he's mentioned Wiggins and Thomas. My guess is his team will consist mainly of Australians and Germans working more discretely than usual, in the knowledge it will help their bank accounts and contract negotiations for the coming year.

OP
OP
Chris.IOW

Chris.IOW

Article on BBC news from Thomas stating he would like to see him at Sky.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/14379632.stm

Also states he's looking forward to leading Cav out at the World championships.

I still think that Sky would be a bad move for all concerned, spliting objectives is going to leave everyone unhappy. Cav has been so successful at the Tour because HTC have sent a team solely focused on winning stages.

Lets hope as people have suggested that it's all tied up with new sponsors and we can see the HTC (or whatever they will be called next year) train in action at the Tour next year. :smile:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I agree that is sounded like he knows that HTC have new sponsors lined up and he's staying put. Which is the best thing for him.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I still think that Sky would be a bad move for all concerned, spliting objectives is going to leave everyone unhappy. Cav has been so successful at the Tour because HTC have sent a team solely focused on winning stages.

+1, and it has been a stunning team imho. I wonder if the uncertainties so far has decimated the team for next year, even if it survives with Cav and a deep pocket sponsor - the team was a popular hunting ground by others in the past even without such financial uncertainty.

I thought in his radio interview he was hinting that he might go nowhere and somebody has come back with a better offer, my guess Sky offered mega bucks, forcing highroad to up their offer a bit, it won't have been as big but Cav knows where his bread is buttered, he stresses that he is part of team and what better than a team focused around him and he's decided to stay. Only time will tell though ;)

Top Bottom