Where's Cav Going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Sky would have been grateful for Cav this year.

and Eisel

Doseone

Guru
Sorry, being lazy here - I haven't gone through all 17 pages of this thread and maybe the answer lies within....
.....but does anyone know what actually happened in the latter stages of HTC's demise? Reading Matt Bremmeier's column in Pro-Cycling he seems to indicate that new sponsors were found (he was even offered a new 2 year deal) and it only fell apart at the very last minute. I wonder who the proposed sponsors were and why they pulled the plug?

Andy84

Veteran
Doseone said:
Sorry, being lazy here - I haven't gone through all 17 pages of this thread and maybe the answer lies within....
.....but does anyone know what actually happened in the latter stages of HTC's demise? Reading Matt Bremmeier's column in Pro-Cycling he seems to indicate that new sponsors were found (he was even offered a new 2 year deal) and it only fell apart at the very last minute. I wonder who the proposed sponsors were and why they pulled the plug?

I don't "know", but I did wonder if whoever the potential sponsors were, their offer was based on Cav still being at HTC, I think Cav's known for a long time, that he would be at Sky next year.

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm not sure but I seem to remember that HTC initially said they would extend their sponsorship and then in they end 'pulled the plug', I don't recall any other sponsor being named.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well, unsurprisingly, Greg Henderson has left Sky. He wasn't ever really more than a stop-gap sprinter and was never going to find many opportunities with Cav arriving, CJ Sutton getting better all the time, and then Swift and Apollonio catching up fast.

Sure financially they are, but the first bit you mention is the point about next year.

I know it's been discussed ad nauseum, but can't see how one team can fervently go for both jerseys? Perhaps I am wrong, but history tells us that that has only happened with individual riders of exceptional brilliance winning both jerseys and not a combined team effort involving two separate riders winning different jerseys from the same team? Or has it?

Maybe I'm wrong, I might well be.

And I am wrong, sort of. In 1997 the Telekom team won both the general classification (Jan Ullrich) and the points classification (Erik Zabel).

But Sky won't be blood doping.

Top Bottom