Where's Cav Going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Breaks were still chased down pre-HTC.

Of course they were, but usually by the dominate sprinters team, are Sky going to be prepared to do this day in day out.

Look at the worlds, they know how strong Cav is and there were not many willing helpers then.

montage

God Almighty
A hard task...but then look at the riders...very hard men.

Wiggins, Froome, G, Eisel, Cav, EBH, Porte, Uran. That leaves a space for another (I would guess) all rounder ... and has some serious firepower for the time trials and on the flats. Going to be some tired legs by Paris though!

BJH

Über Member
Pro cycling seems to be moving in the direction of a smaller number of super teams. Time will tell whether thats a good idea, look at football and for most fans, it seems to depend on whether your team is one of those super teams with billionaire backers as to whether you think it's a good idea.

With mergers and bigger money coming in they all want success. I don't really see the big issue about which jersey Sky will aim for with Cav on board. If Sky didn't sign him others would have been straight in for him.

I think it's great that one of these emerging super teams is British - despite my hatred for the Dirty Digger.

Whether Sky go for Green or Yellow, TDF over Olympics, or bikes made in Italy or the US doesn't matter to me. It's just great to see British riders at the highest level of the sport providing the impact to drag more people out on their bikes and more kids to follow in their tracks.

Either way, it's given us the Green jersey, 2 places on the podium at the Vuelta and THE WORLD CHAMPION.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Youve missed one significant point , who is going to chase down the breakaways ? Tommy, Luis Leon and Johnny are are going to have a field day !
that's my thought. And here, in Sky's hubris, we might see something of a novelty - a Tour taken apart by an individual.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Pro cycling seems to be moving in the direction of a smaller number of super teams. Time will tell whether thats a good idea, look at football and for most fans, it seems to depend on whether your team is one of those super teams with billionaire backers as to whether you think it's a good idea.

Yeah, it's the price of success. The irony is that we all want cycling (or whatever sport we love) to be more popular, but when it gets more popular it becomes more attractive to less savoury interests, who have no real love for the sport and just want to make money...

beastie

Guru
Yeah, it's the price of success. The irony is that we all want cycling (or whatever sport we love) to be more popular, but when it gets more popular it becomes more attractive to less savoury interests, who have no real love for the sport and just want to make money...
Do you mean like back in the eighties with people like Bernard Tapie, or the nineties, when everyone was juiced on Epo?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Is more/bigger money coming into pro racing? Are super teams really the price of success? If true how come the most successful pro team on the planet is disbanding due to lack of sponsorship?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Is more/bigger money coming into pro racing? Are super teams really the price of success? If true how come the most successful pro team on the planet is disbanding due to lack of sponsorship?

It's more successful in different places, less in others. The post-Lance US scene is not so great, especially in a recession, so it's no surprise to see US teams struggling for sponsorship, but the UK scene is flourishing, and cycling is picking up from almost nothing in other places. It's also recovering popularity in France after some difficult times.

Do you mean like back in the eighties with people like Bernard Tapie, or the nineties, when everyone was juiced on Epo?

I won't speak for FM but I don't think he does mean that. EPO, doping etc is part of the history of the TDF, sadly. Whereas here, the TDF takes a sporting sideline, in France it was, and still is massive; the Giro too to the Italians. There is no 'progression' from the seedy 80s or 90s other than the attitude of the professional peloton regarding doping and this, I believe, has nothing to do with money or sponsorship.

I agree that we do all want the profile of cycling to increase, ironically as FM implies, interesting the unsavoury investors and sponsors and becoming as with football, another tool for making money.

BUT... it didn't help HTC. If a premiership footballer so much as farts in the box then he's signed at extortionate, over and above his worth rates, and yet with HTC the world of cycling was graced with a sprint train that, in time, I believe, will be considered truly legendary. But lack of sponsorship killed it.

Still not sure if Cav and Sky will work to the same level of success, and if they do, then it might mark the beginning of the end for any aspiring British yellow in Sky colours. Just my own opinion. Perhaps I will be proved wrong, but Sky have a long way to go before they are any sort of superteam IMO.

Tompy

Sky ended the seson ranked #2 in the UCI team rankings and looking at who they've signed for next season I'd say they haven't got that far to go, in sporting terms.

In financial terms, they are one of the super teams already.

Sky ended the seson ranked #2 in the UCI team rankings and looking at who they've signed for next season I'd say they haven't got that far to go, in sporting terms.

In financial terms, they are one of the super teams already.

Sure financially they are, but the first bit you mention is the point about next year.

I know it's been discussed ad nauseum, but can't see how one team can fervently go for both jerseys? Perhaps I am wrong, but history tells us that that has only happened with individual riders of exceptional brilliance winning both jerseys and not a combined team effort involving two separate riders winning different jerseys from the same team? Or has it?

Maybe I'm wrong, I might well be.

Top Bottom