Where's Cav Going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
All negatives, just unbelieveable! We have one of the top ranked teams in the world, a world champion on it, podium finishes at TdF, green jersey at TdF, and all that happens is people moan and make stupid, uninformed comments about "big heads". No idea....
Wind back 15 years - or more - and there were very few Brits in the pro peloton, not a chance of a proper pro team (forget McCartney and ANC, just chancers and dodgy top people looking for a con/fast buck) in the top level, no champions. Then where we are now. I know quite a few old riders who would have done anything for a chance at that level in a British team.

You can't seem to do right for doing wrong, management simply has to step up to the challenge of what they do with a wealth of talent and ability. And the management of the team - some of whom I know - have ability to do that it spades.

+2

rich p

ridiculous old lush
All negatives, just unbelieveable! We have one of the top ranked teams in the world, a world champion on it, podium finishes at TdF, green jersey at TdF, and all that happens is people moan and make stupid, uninformed comments about "big heads". No idea....
Wind back 15 years - or more - and there were very few Brits in the pro peloton, not a chance of a proper pro team (forget McCartney and ANC, just chancers and dodgy top people looking for a con/fast buck) in the top level, no champions. Then where we are now. I know quite a few old riders who would have done anything for a chance at that level in a British team.

You can't seem to do right for doing wrong, management simply has to step up to the challenge of what they do with a wealth of talent and ability. And the management of the team - some of whom I know - have ability to do that it spades.

What a lot of cobblers. A few people saying they didn't think it was a good idea and how difficulties may arise in going for 2 jerseys is just fair debate.

The usual almost name-dropping in your posts and your man-on-the-inside attitude doesn't mean the rest of us have no right to post our opinions.

Get over yourself.

martint235

Dog on a bike
What a lot of cobblers. A few people saying they didn't think it was a good idea and how difficulties may arise in going for 2 jerseys is just fair debate.

The usual almost name-dropping in your posts and your man-on-the-inside attitude doesn't mean the rest of us have no right to post our opinions.

Get over yourself.

+1. I didn't think I was being negative, I just stated my opinion that Sky going for two jerseys is going to stretch them.

As for how many Brit riders there are in the peloton compared to the past, yes it is fantastic and I'd like to see them take as many jerseys as possible plus Olympic gold. I just think sticking them all in one team isn't the way to do that.

tigger

Über Member

Get over yourself.

You're right its a fair debate, but no one knows the answers until much later next year. Its going to be an interesting juggle between green and yellow priorities.

But the fact we have this genuine problem for a British Team is amazing. We have the the best sprinter in the world / world champ / green jersey - fantastic!!! We have good strong GC contenders / stage race winners / tour podium finishers / Time trialers on a route that will suit them - fantastic!!!

Rykard

Veteran
Team sky just need to make sure their ego management is up to scratch. Notice when he won the WC he couldn't thank the team enough - 'they buried themselves so I had to win it' (for them)... rough paraphrase

beastie

Guru
Team sky just need to make sure their ego management is up to scratch. Notice when he won the WC he couldn't thank the team enough - 'they buried themselves so I had to win it' (for them)... rough paraphrase

Cav is always at pains to thank his teammates.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Cav is always at pains to thank his teammates.

Exactly, I think the people who are talking about tantrums and 'throwing toys out of the pram' (which, rich p, is I think what justifiably annoyed oldroadman - who generally knows what he's talking about) are talking about a Cav from some time ago, or of their imagination. He's certainly an emotional guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, but he's also a real team-player and has become very focused and professional in his approach.

The rest of the team seem to be more than happy that he's arrived and I can't see that there will be any necessary problems - except perhaps for other sprinters on the team. But of those, Hunt and Downing are getting on and are no competition as top sprinter, and young Apollonio and Swift might complain a bit, but it they are sensible they will realise that they can only benefit from learning from Cav.

Whether Sky can operate an effective dual strategy in one or all GTs remains to be seen, but it's great to see teams with ambition who are prepared to try this. I think Omega-Quickstep and BMC will also be thinking along the same lines next season. It is also important to remember that that Cav is a proven monument winner and could certainly be supported to wins in other classics suited to his strengths - as the World Cup demonstrated so recently.

I'd be more worried now about Eurosport losing the TV rights of the Grand Tours to Sky....

That's a good point, and would be a fairly typical move by Sky generally, but hopefully that only applies to to the UK and we will not suffer from such antics, with the TdF being a very popular event in Europe. It would be very sad to see though.

Willo

That's a good point, and would be a fairly typical move by Sky generally, but hopefully that only applies to to the UK and we will not suffer from such antics, with the TdF being a very popular event in Europe. It would be very sad to see though.

Agreed, I've been thinking it's only a matter of time......

More generally, whatever the views on Cavendish joining Sky, the fact that the debate is being had is something that would've been difficult to imagine a few years back. Certainly a contrast the the ANC Halfords story in 1987 (as told in Wide Eyed and Legless, which is an enjoyable read).

lukesdad

I think the green and yellow jersey stuff is hogwash. It's one or the other, and my money is still on green. To get that you need a strong team to chase down escapes, and Eisel is clearly part of that team.

Not often I agree with you, but this time I think you may be spot on. Eisel was Cav s biggest asset at HTC forget Goss and Renshaw Bernie called the shots. In Sky s development as a team he s probably a better signing than Cav Himself. In the last 2 years its what they ve been missing a proper road captain. The worlds proved the point when Millar stepped in to do the job.

As for Wiggo. This year was his best shot at the grand tours IMO, and Froome whilst putting up a great ride in the Vuelta against it has to be said div 2 GC contenders, is still probably a year or 2 off a serious challenge in the Giro or TDF.

I think Cav signing has signaled exactly where their intentions lie, and Wiggins is going to have to lump it. He wont be happy but then he s had his chance.

Make no mistake about it Cav will want Olympic Gold and a whole nation expects !

gb155

Fan Boy No More.

Get over yourself.

Rich

Im scared, I agree with EVERYTHING You just said :smile:

Top Bottom