Where's Cav Going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Rich

Im scared, I agree with EVERYTHING You just said :smile:

scary indeed!:biggrin: A first!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Where's Edvald BH going to be next season?

No sign he's not staying at Sky. His mentor, Arvesen, is now a directeur sportif, and ironically, Cav arriving might actually free him up to be the great all-round rider he really can be, rather than a make-shift first choice sprinter (albeit a much better than average one!).

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well thought out opinion piece on the dilemma Sky may or may not face next year

http://www.cyclingne...-tour-de-france

That's the best piece I've read so far on this. The last paragraph is a key one -

"melding Cavendish and Wiggins into the same team could be a breeze compared to the task other squads face. Over at BMC, John Lelangue has to work out how to achieve a successful Tour formula that accommodates Cadel Evans, Philippe Gilbert and Thor Hushovd."

There is going to be a lot of change in the peloton next year. There will be no single dominant sprint team, which means sprints may be more open and even an organised mini-train of the kind Sky have generally been operating in the past year, while it may have looked second-rate compared to HTC's single-minded effort, will now be relatively strong and experienced, especially with Eisel captaining it and Cavendish as the final man.

lukesdad

That's the best piece I've read so far on this. The last paragraph is a key one -

"melding Cavendish and Wiggins into the same team could be a breeze compared to the task other squads face. Over at BMC, John Lelangue has to work out how to achieve a successful Tour formula that accommodates Cadel Evans, Philippe Gilbert and Thor Hushovd."

There is going to be a lot of change in the peloton next year. There will be no single dominant sprint team, which means sprints may be more open and even an organised mini-train of the kind Sky have generally been operating in the past year, while it may have looked second-rate compared to HTC's single-minded effort, will now be relatively strong and experienced, especially with Eisel captaining it and Cavendish as the final man.

Youve missed one significant point , who is going to chase down the breakaways ? Tommy, Luis Leon and Johnny are are going to have a field day !

"One thing is obvious, if they believe that Wiggins can go for yellow they can’t compromise and give Cavendish four guys for the sprints..." Rolf Aldag

Do they need four?

Ordinarily I would have said that I personally don't see Cav and Wiggo being in the same team in 12mths time but with so many team changes lets see. One is leader by his GC capabilities, the other by personality (more gravitas in my book, Wiggo much more introvert but Wiggo more established but ..we can go on); in a race both have quite different requirements.

Following on from the posts immediately above it's going to be a different year with all the changes and probably no singly dominant sprint team.

lukesdad

Any team comprising a decent sprinter will combine efforts of a couple riders up front to chase down breaks - that's how it used to work.

Of course that will all depend on who is in the breaks. A savvy team with a sprinter will get a man in the break.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Sky have rarely had a man in the break for some reason.

Because breakaways have almost always been brought back this season and Sky were one of the better teams at contributing to this. However, I agree that's one thing Sky, and BMC, Omega-Quickstep, Nissan-Radioshack and the other top teams, will have to make calculations about - and probably they will have to have both a 'breakaway man' (fro Sky, Flecha and EBH can both ride this way) and the retain the team power to chase the most significant breaks down if all the others decide not too.

lukesdad

Exactly without the dominance of HTC. We might see a greater selection from the peleton chancing their arm at the breakaway. Could end up with stages resembling the classics every day. Im all for it.

lukesdad

Because breakaways have almost always been brought back this season and Sky were one of the better teams at contributing to this. However, I agree that's one thing Sky, and BMC, Omega-Quickstep, Nissan-Radioshack and the other top teams, will have to make calculations about - and probably they will have to have both a 'breakaway man' (fro Sky, Flecha and EBH can both ride this way) and the retain the team power to chase the most significant breaks down if all the others decide not too.

Did you not see the TDF this year ? there were multiple wins from the break, and sky were in the infamous hoogerland flecha debacle which voeckler took the race lead from.

Top Bottom