Where's ColinJ originally from?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I was going to say that I probably predate Tesco too, but I just checked and they predate me by 37 years!
You are a lot younger than I thought! :whistle:

Though he likes to keep it quiet. Think I would too if I was from there.^_^
Oi, some of us are from that historical City (home of the safety bicycle of course) rather than being "sent to it", ....... having said that I left in 1987 at the age of 23.

Unfortunately, Herr Hitler started the destruction of the medieval city centre on 14th November 1940, a job completed by the post war planners and architects.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I left Coventry in 1984. The shool I went to was originally the home of someone* in the bicycle history.

More importantly, I am surprised that @ColinJ has not mentionned that we went to schools within yards of each other. ^_^

*Edited to add:

The owner was John Kemp Starley, nephew of James Starley. After working with his uncle he went on to develop the "Safety Bicycle".

Last edited:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
And you once told me she was the reason you moved away, or was that meant to be a secret? :whistle:

:eek::cry:

I did not know that!

PaulB

Legendary Member
I know Colin and can say that he's from a land far away and a time long ago. He is imbued with powers unknown to us mere mortals and any talk of illnesses are red herrings designed to make us falsely believe that he is a mere mortal.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know Colin and can say that he's from a land far away and a time long ago. He is imbued with powers unknown to us mere mortals and any talk of illnesses are red herrings designed to make us falsely believe that he is a mere mortal.
But... Do I sound like a 'Coventry kid' to you (or any other CycleChatters who have met me)? :whistle:

I tell myself that I haven't really got much of an accent, but perhaps I am fooling myself!

When I speak to my Midlands family these days I can hear their Coventry accent and how it has a touch of Brummie in it. I never noticed it when I lived In Cov.

PaulB

Legendary Member
But... Do I sound like a 'Coventry kid' to you (or any other CycleChatters who have met me)? :whistle:

I tell myself that I haven't really got much of an accent, but perhaps I am fooling myself!

When I speak to my Midlands family these days I can hear their Coventry accent and how it has a touch of Brummie in it. I never noticed it when I lived In Cov.
No, I'd say your speaking voice is neutral. I am pretty good on accents so can discern the differences from Brum, Nottingham, Stowk or Leicester but can't say I'd recognise a Coventry one having spent very little time there ever.

Brummie53

Accents vary . You could take two people born and bred from the same area and their accents could be different. Depends sometimes on your exposure to accents at home/ work etc. As a born and bred Brummie my accent is completely different from a mate of mine although we spent all our formative years living within a couple of miles of each other. You can go 5/6 miles from Brum City centre to the boundary with Sandwell and the accent is completely different. Same with Brum and Cov , used to work at a pub roughly half way between the two cities and it was a real melting pot of accents although in those days I was more interested in the young ladies who frequented the pub and not their accents! But that’s another story!

Top Bottom