Where's ColinJ originally from?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Accents vary . You could take two people born and bred from the same area and their accents could be different. Depends sometimes on your exposure to accents at home/ work etc. As a born and bred Brummie my accent is completely different from a mate of mine although we spent all our formative years living within a couple of miles of each other. You can go 5/6 miles from Brum City centre to the boundary with Sandwell and the accent is completely different. Same with Brum and Cov , used to work at a pub roughly half way between the two cities and it was a real melting pot of accents although in those days I was more interested in the young ladies who frequented the pub and not their accents! But that’s another story!
It's true. I can tell the difference between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden (about 7 km down the valley) and Burnley and Padiham (whose centres are only about 4km apart and butt up against each other).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No, that is my friend, Carrie - I am somewhat-deaf in both ears! :laugh:

There was me thinking she was listening in respectful silence to one of my speeches.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
But... Do I sound like a 'Coventry kid' to you (or any other CycleChatters who have met me)? :whistle:

I tell myself that I haven't really got much of an accent, but perhaps I am fooling myself!

When I speak to my Midlands family these days I can hear their Coventry accent and how it has a touch of Brummie in it. I never noticed it when I lived In Cov.

We can solve this easily without hearing you say the word 'sing' (an easy way to pick out a Coventrian) - what is this called?

1619778237306.png

winjim

Smash the cistern
Hopefully any replacement sign will spell 'copies' correctly.

But I suppose it's only a library, so that may be too much to expect.
TBF it's one of those teeny tiny free community libraries, so basically a cabinet on the street. I expect the note will have been left by a concerned citizen rather than an actual librarian. All passive aggressive notes should contain spelling mistakes though, it gives them that certain je ne sais quoi.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
So @ColinJ - Do you know who lives here?

1619782841073.png

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
TBF it's one of those teeny tiny free community libraries, so basically a cabinet on the street. I expect the note will have been left by a concerned citizen rather than an actual librarian. All passive aggressive notes should contain spelling mistakes though, it gives them that certain je ne sais quoi.

I'm hoping the librarian who visits occasionally to stock the shelves took the sign down because they were mortally offended by the mistake.

classic33

Leg End Member
Todmorden by Markus Reuter

(in German,"tod" means "death" and "morden" means "to murder")

I genuinely like Mark Reuter's music, especially his abstract ambient guitar pieces. I thought that his Todmorden piece was a conicidence, but he already knew about Todmorden in North England.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojEhEtIRfRE

It was half in Lancashire at one time, they have odd ways over that way!
"he name meant "marshy den of the fox", from the Old English originary ''tod'' (the saxon name for fox) and ''moor''/''moore''"

Top Bottom