Whether drilled frame need a layer of varnish protection?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudigrinfeld

I have width the internal cable holes in the frame and in the BB area, FD hole to insert all DI2 wires internally. I have heard
It might be useful to paint the enlarged holes with clear nail varnish or laquer as now exposed carbon laminate can expand if water gets in there. Anyone knows if this is recommended?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
better with a resin coat i would have thought.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
As stated in the other thread I do it, simply because I have seen symptoms around this area previously on a drilled bike and this was the explanation given for the issue. I can't claim to know if it was correct or not as im not an engineer but it seems feasible and made me paranoid. A little extra protection round a drilled hole in carbon would do harm at any rate. No matter if its nail varhish, laqueror, clear coat etc.. if it stops moisture or water getting between exposed laminate it seems a sensible thing to do imho

OP
OP
dudigrinfeld

dudigrinfeld

Okay sounds fair, just wanted to see if anyone knows regarding the material, as if it is safe to paint it around the holes. I also have a black lacquer, I used ones to touch a paint chip on the other carbon bike I had before, would this work as well?

Resin is what they use to bind the carbon together, it's the right stuff for the job.
Has the OP an autoclave do we think?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
If you went to your local model shop and spoke to them, they should point you in the right direction,
they sell in small amounts so should not cost you much,
what part of the uk are you in, might be able to send you a link.

OP
OP
dudigrinfeld

dudigrinfeld

London Mayfair area

51.511081,-0.145980&zoom=15&size=480x320&maptype=roadmap&markers=51.511081,-0.145980&sensor=true.png

Top Bottom