Whey Protein..Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Under 11 stones is a nice weight to drag up a hill. Doesn't say how tall he is.
I'm older than him and at 6'2" and 14 stone and very little fat struggle to drag my sorry ass up most steep hills.:sad:
I can go out and do 100 mile rides but I'm a knackered couch potato that night.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Under 11 stones is a nice weight to drag up a hill. Doesn't say how tall he is.
I'm older than him and at 6'2" and 14 stone and very little fat struggle to drag my sorry ass up most steep hills.:sad:
I can go out and do 100 mile rides but I'm a knackered couch potato that night.

I'm a just over 5ft 10in in old money.. :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
9 bar is is made with seeds and nuts (depending on which shade of 9 bar you have) and will provide lots of energy and protein. I had a nutty 9 bar today, a 40g bar has 12.5g of protein and provides 223 kcal. I also use milk after a ride.

I went to Decathlon and looked for some 9 bars but the brands are different but I did get two types.
Aptonia Protein 35 bars and a Weider Double Pro bar and will give them a try on my next long ride.

HeroesFitness

Why would you have a protein drink during a 100 mile ride ??? You should be consuming mainly carbohydrates as this is what you deplete and require for this type of exercise, a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein is good so i would recommend you find a more suitable drink :-)

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Why would you have a protein drink during a 100 mile ride ??? You should be consuming mainly carbohydrates as this is what you deplete and require for this type of exercise, a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein is good so i would recommend you find a more suitable drink :-)
Milk

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Thanks some for some good replies so I'm going to have to do this by trial and error..
Next time on a longer ride I will try taking more carbohydrates so how's best to take this while on the move?

ayceejay

Guru
Nutrition is not a 'one size fits all' thing so you will need to experiment (during training NOT event day) having said that there are some general rules.
Find your energy in foods that are mainly complex carbohydrate and avoid simple sugars except in an emergency. Protein will aid recovery, powders being the simplest and most expensive way to get this but if you take this after training make sure you consume carbs as well (ratio 3:1).
Liquids will be easier to digest while on the bike just make sure you sip rather than glug and have your carb drink separate from your water as hydration is equally as important and water is easily replenished along the way. Gatorade (among others) do a high carb powder you can mix to taste but as someone above said just make sure you consume real food when you can and not a lot of chemicals.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Cheers boys..
I will look at taking a carbohydrate drink on the next long ride and see what happens, the last ride I had both food and a protein shake ?
I will of course take a protein shake before and after the ride as I normaly do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom