Whey Protein..Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I just did a 100 mile ride and as a rule I have a protein shake before and after a ride but this time as I was near my house I had another shake half way round the 100 miler the result being no aching muscles after wards and well pleased.
Question..
Obviously I cant take a shake with me on a ride so what could I eat or drink as a substitute for the protein shake?
Is there anything?

uclown2002

Guru
protein bar?

I just did a 100 mile ride and as a rule I have a protein shake before and after a ride but this time as I was near my house I had another shake half way round the 100 miler the result being no aching muscles after wards and well pleased.
Question..
Obviously I cant take a shake with me on a ride so what could I eat or drink as a substitute for the protein shake?
Is there anything?

Do you mean to say that taking protein shakes stops having aches and pains?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Do you mean to say that taking protein shakes stops having aches and pains?

Protein is the building block of muscle tissue, and consuming it helps repair muscle damage and fatigue as does Vitamin C which It's essential for the restoration of collagen which also helps rebuild muscle tissue which has been broken down.

You are better off imho obtaining your protein from high quality food sources which offers other benefits, High doses of whey protein can cause some side effects such as increased bowel movements, nausea, thirst, bloating, cramps, reduced appetite, tiredness (fatigue), and headache.

A protein shake should be used for convenience only, it should not be used to replace a good diet.
After a ride I will usually have Turkey or Salmon with Quinoa and flax seed which has far more benefits than a protein shake.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The acknowledged tried and trusted material is Chocomilk, Frijj or just plain milk, readily available .... ask the Audax crew. Think about what Milk is designed for, it's rapidly assimilated and contains a lot more goodies for building bodies than hydrolysed whey protein. Milk is far too cheap to be true.

Mr Haematocrit

Mass produced protein bars can be loaded with artificial chemicals to prolong shelf life and flavor them.
They are also expensive and vary in taste.

There are many protein/energy bar recipes around the net which I greatly prefer as I know what I am getting in them .
Find one you like the taste of pop them in a small sandwich bag and you are sorted...

http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/homemade-protein-bar-recipes/

Mr Haematocrit

The acknowledged tried and trusted material is Chocomilk, Frijj or just plain milk, readily available .... ask the Audax crew. Think about what Milk is designed for, it's rapidly assimilated and contains a lot more goodies for building bodies than hydrolysed whey protein. Milk is far too cheap to be true.

Good call, one I always forget as I have issues with milk, but for those who do not.. Here is the information supporting what @Fab Foodie was stating

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20060224/chocolate-milk-new-sports-drink

The message I think it brings is eat healthy and make good choices and you do not really need the unnatural processed products messed around with by man

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Protein is the building block of muscle tissue, and consuming it helps repair muscle damage and fatigue as does Vitamin C which It's essential for the restoration of collagen which also helps rebuild muscle tissue which has been broken down.

You are better off imho obtaining your protein from high quality food sources which offers other benefits, High doses of whey protein can cause some side effects such as increased bowel movements, nausea, thirst, bloating, cramps, reduced appetite, tiredness (fatigue), and headache.

A protein shake should be used for convenience only, it should not be used to replace a good diet.
After a ride I will usually have Turkey or Salmon with Quinoa and flax seed which has far more benefits than a protein shake.

In my case I started riding just over a year ago weighing 10st 10lbs on a road bike which didn't have the best gearing and I went down in weight to 9st very quickly.
I gave that up and got a Cannondale Bad Boy 2 just to take thing easy as I was on the verge of packing it all in as I thought my health was suffering.
Then I was told to try some whey protein for a month at one scoop a day and in just a couple of weeks I felt loads better and my mucles stopped hurting.
I then tried some whey protein mass gain which I now use (but only on ride days) and with a better geared road bike I can do all the climbs and have done 100 miles with no sides effects, averaging 16/17 mph with 1500 of climb.
I now have a healthy appetite and I'm back to my old weight of 10st 10lbs with no aching musles hence my question?
I'm 62 years old so think I'm doing well.
I want to carry on doing 100 mile rides but need a bit of protein but wanted an alternative to a shake.
I have found using the mass gainer on ride days has been a saviour for me.
Cheers Paul

the_mikey

Legendary Member
9 bar is is made with seeds and nuts (depending on which shade of 9 bar you have) and will provide lots of energy and protein. I had a nutty 9 bar today, a 40g bar has 12.5g of protein and provides 223 kcal. I also use milk after a ride.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
You are 62 years old and weigh under 11 stones.
Ride 100 miles at an average of 16 miles

I think I am going to have protein shakes. Tell me what other things do you eat and drink...

I eat most stuff to try and keep my weight on as I'm one of the unlucky one's that lose weight just by watching football.. but chips, pizza, cake.
The protein seems to give my muscles the urge to absorb the food I eat, where before I was taking it my muscles didn't.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
9 bar is is made with seeds and nuts (depending on which shade of 9 bar you have) and will provide lots of energy and protein. I had a nutty 9 bar today, a 40g bar has 12.5g of protein and provides 223 kcal. I also use milk after a ride.

I'll give the 9 bar a try.. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom