Whey Protein..Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Do you keep your weight on or do you struggle as well..

I struggle so much to keep weight on.
The only way I can do it realistically is to exercise as I build muscle.
I also find that exercise changes drastically what my body craves as food and I eat in a far more healthy manner.

As much as I have sympathy for those trying to lose weight I greatly dislike the suggestion that slim people like myself are exceptionally lucky.
trying to look good in clothes is a mission in itself, everything just hangs of my frame unless it has a picture of thomas the tank engine on it.
As the nations waistline increases it seems to be harder than ever to find decent trousers with a small waist in the appropriate length.

U

User19783

I did a 150 miler on just normal FOOD last year - amazing! I find FOOD really good. If you can find FOOD, there are all kinds of variety depending on what you fancy.

The question is, how did you feel the next day, be honest, could you cycle another150.miles?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The question is, how did you feel the next day, be honest, could you cycle another150.miles?
Yep!
I had a glass of Banana Nesquick when I got home, some home made FOOD and red wine.
Next question ....

(PS: Audaxers do this stuff all the time surviving on nothing more than Ginsters, flapjacks and Frijj .... it's not magic).

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I struggle so much to keep weight on.
The only way I can do it realistically is to exercise as I build muscle.
I also find that exercise changes drastically what my body craves as food and I eat in a far more healthy manner.

As much as I have sympathy for those trying to lose weight I greatly dislike the suggestion that slim people like myself are exceptionally lucky.
trying to look good in clothes is a mission in itself, everything just hangs of my frame unless it has a picture of thomas the tank engine on it.
As the nations waistline increases it seems to be harder than ever to find decent trousers with a small waist in the appropriate length.

I have to agree..
When people say 'well its alright for you your nice a slim' little do they know how hard it is to keep a steady weight.
PS. I would like too be a big heavier in my muscles but not a lot of chance of that, but like you the more exercise I do the more I eat, but I still dont put on any weight.
Cheers Paul

hoski

Veteran

I always find that trousers are cut with a big waist and narrow legs, and not just in fashionable skinny jeans sense. I tend to have to get several sizes to big so that they are comfortable around my thighs - leaving waistband looking ridiculous.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
you can take BCAA's before and after a ride to help with faster recovery, you don't need to on non-training days.

Or on training days...

stu9000

Its interesting to find out how ones body handles energy on long rides. Jelly babies, dates or half a banana are like rocket fuel when running on empty.

Hydration too. Water is amazing stuff. The odd salt tablet thrown in makes a difference too. Something to do with how your muscles need salt when contracting.

I have used whey powder after a ride and it meant I had the power in my legs for the next training session two days later. Before I started using it I struggled to get the food down me soon enough and then had no power to get in the training I needed.

Cheers

S

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I find it rather odd how general cyclists perceive the need for such products. All this crap about needing a protein shake to recover enough for the next days ride, what on earth are you doing that is so demanding you can't stomach real food within a reasonable time, or that requires anything more than a glass of milk to recover? Racing a farking tour stage? Have some medical issue that limits your body's natural ability to recover? Or are you just under some silly assumption that you should always be riding fresh?

I probably go into a race more fatigued than some of you lot undertaking your commute or leisure ride! There is no need to be fresh every time you get on the bike!

stu9000

I find it rather odd how general cyclists perceive the need for such products. All this crap about needing a protein shake to recover enough for the next days ride, what on earth are you doing that is so demanding you can't stomach real food within a reasonable time, or that requires anything more than a glass of milk to recover? Racing a ****ing tour stage? Have some medical issue that limits your body's natural ability to recover? Or are you just under some silly assumption that you should always be riding fresh?

I probably go into a race more fatigued than some of you lot undertaking your commute or leisure ride! There is no need to be fresh every time you get on the bike!

Been thinking a fair bit about this post.
I get your point about all the techy crap that can come with cycling and I don't use whey powder day to day.
But last year, training for the Surrey 100, which was waaaaaay more cycling than I had done before, it helped me get the miles down.
I have a very (ridiculously) busy job and I don't get a chance to stop much in the day. I found the commute to work quite challenging but great training. But my poor old muscles would not get me up the hill mid week. Until I tried the whey stuff. I read some stuff about needing to eat within half an hour of getting off the bike to replenish glycogen reserves. Not sure about all of that but it helped.

Perhaps I should consider the chocolate milk option. The peanut butter also sounds good. And quick.

While I would always advocate "real" food over manufactured I'm not entirely convinced that whey powder is massively processed, or at least more precessed than beer or cheese.
I found this wiki link quite an interesting read. It is a by product of cheese production. The muscle building properties are "debatable". "A study of elderly men found supplementation with whey protein after exercise improved muscle protein synthesis".

Finally, my cholesterol is too high so I'm trying to work out whether drinking lots of milk is unhelpful. I suspect skimmed milk is fine but whey might offer some benefits in this area. More reading required, or is there a Doctor in the house?

Top Bottom