• Michelin Pro-Race 3

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Continental GP4000

• Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp

• Other

• People who match their tyres to the colour of their bikes are silly, you spendthrift ponce.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
In that case, I think you're bonkers! (Despite not knowing what your definition of 'good miles' might be).

But if you're looking for a tyre to ride light and fast, including races, audax, sportives, long training rides , trips to the Alps, etc, then any of the recommended tyres will do way more than 500 miles.

Tetedelacourse

The GP4000s didn't last much more than about 700 miles for me and I was only commuting. About same for non-folding Ultra Gator Skins

So far (7km ha ha) the Michelin Krylion Carbons have held up well and were highly thought of in my lbs.

How much do you guys weigh!?!??! I've been using GP4000's since they came out and definitely get 3000+miles out of them. My current set are coming up for 4000 miles (with 3 punctures) and that's me just thinking about changing them!!

walker

Tetedelacourse said:
The GP4000s didn't last much more than about 700 miles for me and I was only commuting. About same for non-folding Ultra Gator Skins

So far (7km ha ha) the Michelin Krylion Carbons have held up well and were highly thought of in my lbs.

Thank you tete, I didn't think I was going nuts.

The GP's are solely a race tyre, and if your riding a narrower tyre they will generally last less time.

at over 6 foot I weight little over 13stone

walker

Eat MY Dust said:
How much do you guys weigh!?!??! I've been using GP4000's since they came out and definitely get 3000+miles out of them. My current set are coming up for 4000 miles (with 3 punctures) and that's me just thinking about changing them!!

you sure your not getting mixed up with the old GP 4's?

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tetedelacourse said:

Tete, was the problem that the tyres wore out, or that they got too cut up to remain serviceable (if you don't mind my asking)?

Thanks for the suggestions/discussion so far...

I'm riding the wire beaded 25mm Schwalbe Stelvio at the moment, I'm up to 1,000 miles (conservatively estimated, and mostly commuting until recently).

I have to admit that I don't know the differences in rubber compounds etc, but I'd assumed the Stelvio to be a slightly racy tyre... Is the wear on GP4000 tyres etc likely to be much more severe..?

walker said:
you sure your not getting mixed up with the old GP 4's?

Nope GP4000's. I use these all through winter as well. However I did try out out the Stelvios (they came on my new bike) and only got 1000 miles out of them before they were shagged. I changed back to the GP4000's and I've had them on for over 3000 miles.

walker

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I was told by the man in the LBS not to go for GP4000 because i would wear them down in a month. He said that after about a month they wouldnt be as good, so i didnt get those.
I have folding Ultra-gatorskins. 23c, they felt pretty light Not had them on too long, but from when i put them on they were grippy, and in the warm weather they heat up slightly and seem to get nice and grippy.
I got 2800miles on the Kendas that came with my bike though, with no punctures. The back tyre was squared off and it had a few slits in, but the front was good.
Dont bother matching them to your bike, it will never be the same shade as the bike.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
walker said:
Thank you tete, I didn't think I was going nuts.

The GP's are solely a race tyre, and if your riding a narrower tyre they will generally last less time.

at over 6 foot I weight little over 13stone

well at same height and erm 15 stone ;), yes I`m a powerhouse :angry: tyres dont last long with me, already worn through several tyres this winter currently back on the krylons, they do seem to be quite hardy.

walker

MrGrumpy said:
well at same height and erm 15 stone ;), yes I`m a powerhouse :angry: tyres dont last long with me, already worn through several tyres this winter currently back on the krylons, they do seem to be quite hardy.

the Krylion Carbons lasted me a good few thousand miles, very hard wearing for a slick tyre and seemed to be very resistant to London roads, I even used them to race with for some time too

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Eat MY Dust said:
lol, I bet he didn't have any in stock either!!

LOL!
He had to order in the gator skins aswell.
:biggrin:
The gatorskins are a harder compound then the GP4000, so in theory should last me longer.

Top Bottom