• Michelin Pro-Race 3

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Continental GP4000

• Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp

• Other

• People who match their tyres to the colour of their bikes are silly, you spendthrift ponce.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Well, it's Summer, so could be time for a skinnier tyre on the bike (and one i can match to the colour of it ;) ).

Reading around, the contenders seem to be;

Michelin Pro-Race 3
Vredestein Fortezza Tri-Comp
Continental GP4000

Any tyre would need to to double duty, commuting to Manchester through the week, and on the weekend ride. Some degree of UDE protection definitely required (I'm happy with the level provided by the raceguard belt in my Stelvios at the moment)

Anything else worth considering?

dodgy

The Pro Race 3s are a good choice. I have Pro Race 2s on my bike and they're excellent. So I'm making an assumption (possibly dangerous) that the Pro Race 3s are even better ;)

Dave.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
dodgy said:
The Pro Race 3s are a good choice. I have Pro Race 2s on my bike and they're excellent. So I'm making an assumption (possibly dangerous) that the Pro Race 3s are even better :ohmy:

Dave.
I've just changed from 2's to 3's.
Well, they're different!
First thing is that the 3 is actually a 23c tyre whereas the 2 is almost a 25c size. The 2 fits much sweeter on an aero rim. Immediate thing I noticed is how much better the 3's handled, they just felt more planted on the road, the grip is awe inspiring compared to the 2's which were pretty damn good in the dry, but a bit nervous in the wet.
The 3 doesn't feel as low rolling as the 2 somehow, but I think that is mental rather than physical. Just did an 80-miler and the zip along just dandy. Also slightly better bump absorbtion, especially smaller vibes.

Not sure it would be my first choice commuter tyre though. My 2's lasted 1 season and then they were shot due to cuts. P*ncture protection is only average for a lightweight tyre.
Zippy, Grippy, secure handling, comfortable.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Fab Foodie said:
Not sure it would be my first choice commuter tyre though. My 2's lasted 1 season and then they were shot due to cuts. P*ncture protection is only average for a lightweight tyre.
Zippy, Grippy, secure handling, comfortable.

Hmm - I'm riding Stelvios now, and finding that the p* protection they give is ok for me (kevlar sub tread belt), hence my thinking that a similarly protected but narrower tyre would probably suit me as well...

I'm leaning towards the Contis at the moment because of the price differential - anyone had any experience of these re: cuts etc (or compared them directly with the Pro Races...?) I guess secret option no.2 is to buy fancy wheels as well, fit the racy tyres to them, and transform my bike at the weekends from ugly duckling commuter into fabulous colour co-ordinated swan... :ohmy:

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tharg2007 said:
what about the Maxxis Detonator? or am I speaking out of turn? :ohmy:

Don't know the name - I guess it would come under "other" :ohmy: Are they good?

walker

All the tyres you have quoted are race tyres, you know that right? your not going to get any more than say 500 good miles out of each

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
. . . . your not going to get any more than say 500 good miles out of each

What???? You've dropped at least one zero off that! Or else you're suggesting that you have to change tyres part way through the longest of the audax rides! Pit stop anyone?

Very soft tyres like the Tricomps will only last 5000 miles it's true. If you put a new set on for Spring training camp, they are a little thread bare in September, but more all-round tyres like the PR2s were good for much more than that.

walker

Tim Bennet. said:
What???? You've dropped at least one zero off that! Or else you're suggesting that you have to change tyres part way through the longest of the audax rides! Pit stop anyone?

Very soft tyres like the Tricomps will only last 5000 miles it's true. If you put a new set on for Spring training camp, they are a little thread bare in September, but more all-round tyres like the PR2s were good for much more than that.

Exactly what I said, 500 good miles, I've had the Conti's on since around new year, I've done 1000 since then on them, all hard miles, training, racing etc, they are already starting to square off.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
If you said 500 miles and I said 5000, how can you then reply "Exactly what I said"?

There's a factor of 10 difference! That's not 'exactly' in anyone's book.

walker

Tim Bennet. said:
If you said 500 miles and I said 5000, how can you then reply "Exactly what I said"?

There's a factor of 10 difference! That's not 'exactly' in anyone's book.

Sorry Tim, I meant to put it:

Exactly what I said

Top Bottom