• Michelin Pro-Race 3

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Continental GP4000

• Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp

• Other

• People who match their tyres to the colour of their bikes are silly, you spendthrift ponce.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Thanks again everyone.

I'm still dithering - I'm not quite as heavy as those of you reporting heavy wear (I'm around 150lb at the moment, don't know what that is in the new money). Part of me is thinking to just bung a set of GP4000s on and see how I go, whilst the other part of me is thinking that a durable tyre like the Gator or Krylion is the way to go, given the 130 - 150ish commuting miles a week I do...

Well I've just ordered another set of GP4000's. This'll be my 5th set.

briank

Though I don't use them in the summer (best road bike has Conti Supersonics:blush: - now there's a soft tyre, but quick) the Four Seasons achieve and excellent balance between grip and longevity - and are as near puncture-proof as you'll get.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Thanks for the advice again everyone.

In the end, I plumped for a set of GP4000 (in Conti yellow :becool: ) - put them on the wheels last night. I've covered a little over 30 miles on them today - first impressions are pretty good, they roll nicely, and like a lot of good kit, seem to urge you to put an extra revolution in your cadence, to push harder in the gear you're in rather than changing down etc.

I'm hoping I won't see the harsh wear some of you've reported on them, being lighter, and probably not as fast and fearless!

walker

good choice JtM, Be aware that they are a hand made tyre, and can have slight defects (only slight) do them some justice and fit them with decent tubes. If you get Conti tubes they come with matching coloured dustcaps

Keep us updated with the review.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
walker said:
good choice JtM, Be aware that they are a hand made tyre, and can have slight defects (only slight) do them some justice and fit them with decent tubes.

I've Schwalbe (Michelin Airstop if that p*s) on the back, but I should replace the front with a good tube (there's a Kenda in there at the moment, if it's as good as their tyres...)
If you get Conti tubes they come with matching coloured dustcaps
That sounds cool...
Eat My Dust said:
lol, I've even got matching Conti team kit!!!
This, not so much... :tongue:

Thanks again everyone for all the info and suggestions - I'll keep the review up to date with my impressions of the tyres as time goes on.

shooter560

Well did a club ride yesterday, on the front my last Conti GP4000s (2008 version) and on the rear a Pro Race 3, total ride mileage all dry weather 60 miles, total punctures 3, all in the front Conti, all small shards of flint, number of nicks, cuts and stone in rear PR3 tyre ZERO

Conclusion, for me personally Conti GP4000s are grippy and light, but are total crap in regards to puncture protection/durability, I'll never have another on any of my bikes. The real pity is my Conti Attack/Force on my other bike are great (so far 1000 miles since March) and no probs or flats.

Just ordered an other 3 pairs of PR3's for all the bikes

Tynan

Veteran
interesting thread, I'm a featherweight 14st7lb and on 23s with a not light pannier and I'm eating tyres, started on 25 gators and got on so well with those I gave them away after less than three weeks, puncturing and cutting like silly, they looked soft too

then Luganos, the back one cut badly on the centre line within a week and then tore along the bead, replaced that with a 4000, no problems since then although the 400o is starting to cut and hole a bit

the Lugano on the front still looks A1 though so I might have been unlucky with the one that broke

suspect I'm going to need something hard wearing (and red) on the back

Top Bottom