Which animal can't walk backwards?

What animal can't walk backwards?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Nooo, even it's head and body look different. Sometimes it looks like an animatronic or on strings.

It looks like like an advert, and in the longer version it goes to the bar and orders a pint of fosters.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Elephants can definitely take a few steps backwards, I've seen it myself. And if domestic cats can, then bobcats can too. With kangaroos being the most different animal type, they would be my guess.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Kangaroos: I think they are the ones who can't walk (by which I assume the question to actually mean 'move under their own power') backwards, because they are designed to hop, and they can only do that forewards. However, so as not to agree with Bonj completely, which, obviously, I try not to do, on principle;), to say that their legs are horizontal is wrong. Only part of their leg is generally in a horizontal plane, and that is in fact their foot (metatarsals and phalanges). The rest is in a more upright position.

In responce to the idea that they only have two legs, to the other animals' four, no, they have 4 limbs like any other, they just don't generally put them to the ground. 'Arms' and 'legs' are a rather anthropoid concept.

And no, Arbitrary, elephants do have legs, and yes they do have knees, but only two, so don't start that elephants have 4 knees thing....

Speicher

Vice Admiral
By coincidence I found a book called "Why bears cannot run backwards, and other pub questions". I surmise that if a bear cannot run backwards, and it can only "waddle" backwards, that means it cannot "walk" backwards.

I am sure that it is something to do with its low centre of gravity, and high consumption of Flap jacks, ("Grizzly Adams") :biggrin:

simonali

Guru
That kangaroo in the video is definitely not walking backwards. If you watch it he balances on his tail, swings his legs back and then stands up again. That is not walking.

Top Bottom