Which are best wheels from this list?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MrWill

So I have some 2014 Fulcrum 5s by the way.
Aint' used them properly yet because they concern me because...
1/ The rim join is atrocious, there is a ridge on all the braking surfaces.
2/ The main thing that worries me is the rim join is not welded consistently, there is a .5mm+ gap between the mating surfaces of the non braking part of the rim. ( about 60% not welded on the rear on and about 40% on the front). As the braking surface wears there will be barely anything holding the rim together.
3/ They have splashes of the glue stuff they put on the nipples, all over the place, and the decals are not put on properly. Not necessarily a problem but shows that some bloke has just slapped them together in a rush, or is just not a good wheel builder.

I'm not filled with confidence in them enough to do descents etc!

All credit to Wiggle, they refunded me £50. When I showed em the photos.

OP
OP
M

MrWill

Are the Zondas cartridge bearings?

BigAl68

Über Member
They should have replaced them. Didn't they have a piece of card on the wheels when they arrived with a check list for quality control. My zondas did and I would have sent the fulcrums straight back as they should be returned to the company

OP
OP
M

MrWill

They should have replaced them. Didn't they have a piece of card on the wheels when they arrived with a check list for quality control. My zondas did and I would have sent the fulcrums straight back as they should be returned to the company
Yeah they offered to. They had already price matched them to £160, so paid £110 for them.
But I sent some very good photos to them and they confirmed they were all exactly the same.
Yep they came with all that ticket crap saying how good they are look at our QC tickets and our kid's signature lol.

BigAl68

Über Member
If they are happy then ride them. Not sure I would with the gaps in the weld but suppose you can sue wiggle if they fail. Lol

U

User6179

So I have some 2014 Fulcrum 5s by the way.
Aint' used them properly yet because they concern me because...
1/ The rim join is atrocious, there is a ridge on all the braking surfaces.
2/ The main thing that worries me is the rim join is not welded consistently, there is a .5mm+ gap between the mating surfaces of the non braking part of the rim. ( about 60% not welded on the rear on and about 40% on the front). As the braking surface wears there will be barely anything holding the rim together.
3/ They have splashes of the glue stuff they put on the nipples, all over the place, and the decals are not put on properly. Not necessarily a problem but shows that some bloke has just slapped them together in a rush, or is just not a good wheel builder.

I'm not filled with confidence in them enough to do descents etc!

All credit to Wiggle, they refunded me £50. When I showed em the photos.

I think F5s are pinned at the joint and not welded so the join is easier to see , usually the sticker hides it , so dont worry about it .

BigAl68

Über Member
You can get with Shimano

Yes they come in campagnolo or shimano and will fit 10 or 11 speed shimano. I have them with ultegra 11 speed and they are great.

Cyclist33

I had a problem with the front wheel rim join on my Fulcrum 5s too. Well, it's still there but anyway, the join was sufficiently poor that there was a sharp edge/point on the inside of the rim's hooked wall - punctured any inner tube within a couple of miles.

I was going to send them back, but got some sandpaper and smoothed the sharpness off. No problems since. They are bombproof and while hardly electrifying, they are very efficient and capable of holding speed very well. I like them. Have just ripped the decals off and they look mean and lean on my new steel bike.

BigAl68

Über Member
Sold on the Zondas I think. Looking out for a bargain over next few weeks!

Think they look great IMO.
DSC_0166.JPG
DSC_0165.JPG

OP
OP
M

MrWill

They look like a hard one to choose where to line the tyre decals up! Sad I know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom