Which Bike: Allez or Triban 3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's fine if you have a much bigger budget to spend on a bike...the OP doesn't

Why not actually suggest a better bike for his budget ;)

There are undoubtedly better bikes but for £300, it is generally agreed that the spec and performance outstrips that of other bikes at the price point

Milzy

Guru
I suggest a second hand bike with better running gear than a Triban 3 for £300 as it's been mentioned. Hunt on gum tree ebay etc. If the Op doesn't care what people think then get something even cheaper. I once bagged a decent Scott MTB for £100 from fleabay.

OP
OP
M
I suggest a second hand bike with better running gear than a Triban 3 for £300 as it's been mentioned. Hunt on gum tree ebay etc. If the Op doesn't care what people think then get something even cheaper. I once bagged a decent Scott MTB for £100 from fleabay.

So in reference to the original post, the allez perhaps? I reckon I could haggle him down to lower side of £250

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it the right size for you? £50 should leave you enough for a full service if required. Go see it, get a feel for whether it's genuine as above

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Seems the general opinion is that the Triban is a great bike for the price, while the Allez is just a great bike

What he said ^^^^^^^^

heather68

as a newbee just bought a triban 3 as like OP dont have a great income, access to C2W or interest credit, not everyone belongs to a road club or tri club or cares which brand is stamped on their bike...op is a student looking to start off i was in similar postion glad i took the new bike over the uncertainty of a 2nd hand bike gives peice of mind with a very limited budget...lets you dip ur toe in the water

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
as a newbee just bought a triban 3 as like OP dont have a great income, access to C2W or interest credit, not everyone belongs to a road club or tri club or cares which brand is stamped on their bike...op is a student looking to start off i was in similar postion glad i took the new bike over the uncertainty of a 2nd hand bike gives peice of mind with a very limited budget...lets you dip ur toe in the water

Depends on if the bike fits your need. Triban needs its wheels done a lot from the sounds of it. Kinda like most cheap stuff, its cheap but don't last. So pay more in the short term or more in the long term. The latter in more annoying and normally works out more expensive..

heather68

in my case as in op case paying more upfront not an option, im petite so had to buy wsd bar,stem,saddle costing 40 quid by shopping around...but would have to have done that anyway...planning to buy new wheels and tyres after speaking to other triban owners but think everyone by the sounds of it likes to upgrade to the latest shiny new option no matter what their starting price is 300 or 2000

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I think the Triban offers a lot for the money and gets people into cycling and for this its great, the problem I have with it is that the bike is often suggested without any mention of the wheel issue... The fact is not everyone has the money to replace the wheels and I would not want to see anyone with a bike they can not enjoy.. Information is everything

Kies

I upgraded my wheels (rs10) and tyres (schwalbe) on the T3 and the difference is like night & day.
Don't think an upgrade would be required on an Allez for most new riders.

Triban everytime.

As for the wheel weakness, it's just a matter of tweaking them straight away. Mention it in store to the mechanic at Decathlon and they will happily check them.

I didn't do that but I did learn how to adjust the hub bearings straight away. My Triban wheels have now done 1100 miles from new. They roll for ever and the hubs have no visible wear. They've been stripped, cleaned and regreased twice. Hardly much effort.

As for not it being a BSO and taking it on a sportive. I'll be doing my first sportive on my T3 tomorrow and I'll be enjoying trouncing the full kit w**kers on their full carbon setups on my "BSO".

Top Bottom