Which Bike: Allez or Triban 3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't seem to find any retailers selling it in the UK... Also I really can't go above £300

There are LBS that sell Merida - perhaps try the high street?

http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/cms/56/dealer-search

OP
OP
M
I'd rather take a bmx on a sportive than be seen on a BSO Triban 3.

I may be new to the sport but one thing that wont change is I can assure you i'll never give a flying f*** what other people think of the bike I ride if I can save hundreds of pounds. In fact I'll take pleasure in knowing they've poured their money down the drain.

vickster

Legendary Member
Could look at Pinnacle from Evans, Merlin sell bikes online from around £400, so do Wiggle, Chain Reaction etc

Do you have access to Cycle To Work, can save that way and spread payments

Did you go see the Allez or did I miss that?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
So the triban does?

Yes....the triban is known for having wheels made of chocolate as such it is wise to budget for replacing them.

The Triban thread http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/triban-3-owners-club.121260/ has a large number of people who have replaced the wheels... some typical comments are.

My hubs are well and truly thrashed after 1100 miles or so. What wheelset would people suggest upgrading to?

im thinking of changing the wheels

have a couple of wheels ready to fit in Spring/Summer to replace the originals

Next upgrade will probably be some new wheels

The wheels are not the best

All these comments came from the very first page of a thread which is 94 pages long, I would be interested to know how many times wheels are mentioned in the thread... Although the Triban is a cost effective bike to buy, that is not the ownership cost as you basically have to budget and expect to replace the wheels pretty quickly from what I am reading.

Make of that what you will.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you buy a £300 bike and plan to leave it anywhere, you'd be wise to invest £50+ on a good lock or two and also look into your contents insurance for cover in case it is nicked

OP
OP
M
If you buy a £300 bike and plan to leave it anywhere, you'd be wise to invest £50+ on a good lock or two and also look into your contents insurance for cover in case it is nicked

I've got 2 decent locks already so not worried about the spend there. Mostly to be kept inside

Top Bottom