Which bike for the ice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I have an apollo metis (I swear I didn't know any better at the time!) which I use in the wet as it has mudguards, and I have a specialized vita which I love a lot and wouldn't look good in mudguards.
Both are "hybrids" but the metis has more mtb-esque tyres and the vita is really more of a flat bar road bike.
Which do you imagine would handle better on the icy roads? I only have 1.5 miles each way, but on side streets which may not be gritted and one downhill which is prone to black ice.
I think the metis may have more grip, but it's heavier, although as a step through it's easier to leap off if I start to go down! I will be devastated if I hurt the vita.
I don't want to revert to walking just yet but I'm convinced I'm coming off!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
On ice - neither will have any grip whatsoever.
The only thing that makes riding on ice possible (but still dodgy) is studded tyres.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-winter-performance-rigid-road-tyre/

If you have clearance for these under the mudguards then your onto a winner, otherwise I'd be walking on the ungritted sections.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh and I have badly crashed the MTB on ice 3 times in one day with knobbly tyres, and slipped on 23mm when not too bad. Studded for me.

Brandane

Legendary Member
although as a step through it's easier to leap off if I start to go down!

If only! The few times I have come off on ice, you get no warning. One minute you're cycling along minding your own business, the next you're tangled amongst a bike frame on the ground wondering - WTF? No way would you be able to go down gracefully, gliding off your step through as you went! ^_^

Agree with Brandane - it literally is that quick; one moment all's well, the next you're on your side on the ground and possibly (as happened to me once) sliding onto the other side of the road - thankfully nothing was coming.

Personally when it's icy I stay off the bike.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I braved it on the vita, but it wasn't that icy afterall. I'm lucky I only have one early-ish start a week.
There is nothing graceful about me gliding off the step through in any conditions!

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
How about an icycle

ice_bike.jpg

Bengarbage

please take note of the suggestions above. my roadie is now hibernating, and the half ton dawes hybrid, with ice tyres, is out. It is so not worth the risk, trust, old titanium arm here knows. Don't brake into corners, well before, look ahead for ice and black ice (cant allways see and may just look wet).
Confidence to ride slow is key. If you're not happy please get off and walk until you are. Good luck, it can be done.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
please take note of the suggestions above. my roadie is now hibernating, and the half ton dawes hybrid, with ice tyres, is out. It is so not worth the risk, trust, old titanium arm here knows. Don't brake into corners, well before, look ahead for ice and black ice (cant allways see and may just look wet).
Confidence to ride slow is key. If you're not happy please get off and walk until you are. Good luck, it can be done.

Riding slow is never a problem for me! Thanks for the advice.
I will be walking if it gets worse as I can't afford new tyres - will have to save up well before next winter.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Riding slow is never a problem for me! Thanks for the advice.
I will be walking if it gets worse as I can't afford new tyres - will have to save up well before next winter.

Same here. Will try and get a pair before next winter. Not sure I would go out just now anyway. It is currently minus 3 and feeling colder even in the middle of the day!

Top Bottom