Which bike for the ice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have been cycling for a few decades and have some experience of sub-zero riding in the Western Balkans.

I find the bike to which I am best used is the one to ride in conditions where grip is compromised.

The key, however, is position. In icy conditions it is all about position.

For me, in icy weather the best position for the bicycle is in the rear of the car, with the seats folded down.

I then jump into the driver's seat and drive with an unimpeded rear view.

Peteaud

Veteran
I have been cycling for a few decades and have some experience of sub-zero riding in the Western Balkans.

I find the bike to which I am best used is the one to ride in conditions where grip is compromised.

The key, however, is position. In icy conditions it is all about position.

For me, in icy weather the best position for the bicycle is in the rear of the car, with the seats folded down.

I then jump into the driver's seat and drive with an unimpeded rear view.

smiley-score010.gif

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I only have 1.5 miles each way, but on side streets which may not be gritted and one downhill which is prone to black ice.

for that sort of distance I wouldn't bother getting the bike out. I'd do a brisk walk to work

for that sort of distance I wouldn't bother getting the bike out. I'd do a brisk walk to work
+1 When I was working 2 miles from home, I only cycled on "lazy" days. Certainly never thought to cycle on an icy/snowy day.
Caveats: I have a desk job, so commuting is my only exercise most days. 4 miles of cycling doesn't really cut it. Also, ice is dangerous even when walking: I broke my wrist stepping on a patch of ice a couple of winters ago.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
But walking is so boring.
Plus on days when I start at 9 I only have 10 minutes between dropping the girls at school and needing to be at work, I don't walk that briskly!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I decided I liked the idea of walking the three miles to work, partly as a chance to listen to some music, but I figure I'd have to get out of bed a LOT earlier than usual :sad:

Also I've cycled so much this year walking more than a few miles appears to hurt my hips!

Also, also, those studded tyres weight a kilo each! Wow! Not saying that's good or bad, just wow!

Top Bottom