Which bike should i buy? Opinions ASAP please..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanPrice

Hi all,

Its been a while since ive posted on this forum as i kind of gave my go at road riding a knock on the head as it wasnt really my thing after racing BMX for years.

Ive decided now that i want to buy a half descent MTB to use locally, and around the local XC trails etc.

I want something thats going to look the part and have some descent parts that wont need replacing every 5 minutes.

As mtb's arent my forte im not too sure what parts and spec i should be looking at so i was hoping one of you knowledgeable folk would lend a hand?

I dont really want to spend more than £1000 to be honest.

Ive been looking at a few bikes on Wiggle which i quite like the look/sound of.

Focus Black Forest Expert 2010 £699.99

Focus Black Forest Pro 2010 £899.99

Full suspension - Focus Thunder 3.0 2010 £999.99

As you can see im confused to say the least. So a point in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :smile:

DHA

Hi,

I bought a Black Forest Expert just over a week and a half ago. I looked at the pro and the expert and wondered if the extra money was worth it. Yes you get some better kit on the pro but I decided that given my relative newness to the MTB world I wouldn't really notice the difference. The weight is only 100g less between the bikes as well I think.

It is great fun to ride on trails and is easy to get up climbs, it has been great fun really got me into MTBing and I ride it with a big smile on my face (apart from today when my legs gave up but you can hardly blame the bike!). Wiggle service was great as well, ordered on Sunday and was delivered on the Friday.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hi all,

Its been a while since ive posted on this forum as i kind of gave my go at road riding a knock on the head as it wasnt really my thing after racing BMX for years.

Ive decided now that i want to buy a half descent MTB to use locally, and around the local XC trails etc.

I want something thats going to look the part and have some descent parts that wont need replacing every 5 minutes.

As mtb's arent my forte im not too sure what parts and spec i should be looking at so i was hoping one of you knowledgeable folk would lend a hand?

I dont really want to spend more than £1000 to be honest.

Ive been looking at a few bikes on Wiggle which i quite like the look/sound of.

Focus Black Forest Expert 2010 £699.99

Focus Black Forest Pro 2010 £899.99

Full suspension - Focus Thunder 3.0 2010 £999.99

As you can see im confused to say the least. So a point in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Shheesh..... decent budget, plenty of choice

Right. You want a bike that will tackle XC trails.You need to be loooking for a steel or Alu hardtail with quality forks such as Rockshox Reba or similar. With your budget you could choose between a Giant Talon 0, a Genesis Core 40 or 50, a Cube Ltd Race/Team/Pro a Boardman HT Pro, you could move into the Full Susser world and get a Voodoo or Boardman FS team, all of which would do the job. You could even halve your budget and get a Carrera Fury.

Stretch your budget by 100 quid and get an Orange Crush 2010 from Sunset MTB (hurry of they'll be sold out)
Whatever you do have a read of the reviews and or get a test ride. Focus MTBs tend to be reasonable spec but uninspired.

Current received wisdom would be to get a Boardman FS team, otherwise you're into good quality XC or AM hardtails for your budget.

lukesdad

Mmm....lot of choice out there. I d go for a hardtail. I dont have a bike in that price range so can t really give a personal reccomendation, depending on what review you are reading i d take them with a pinch of salt. Trying the bike is much more important, and personal reccomendation is handy too. If your note getting to serious what it looks like could also be very important to you. Get what takes your fancy I say :thumbsup:

DHA

One thing that swayed me towards wiggle was the 30 day trial on any bike. Yes you can ride bikes from shops but I wasn't convinced that I would get to properly ride it, whereas with the wiggle 30 day trial you can ride it as much as you want.

OP
OP
D

DanPrice

Thanks all so much for the replies. Really appreciate the input.

The past 3 days ive been reading review after review after review, and searching high and low.

Im now torn between

Focus Black forest pro for £899.99

&

Focus Thunder 3.0 for £999.99

I really like the look of both bikes, and all the reviews i read about Focus bikes are that there good for there money, which is what i want. Ive read alot about people saying they dont bring "spirit" and "adventure" etc, but ill bring that when riding it hopefully.

Can anyone comment on the spec for the money on each bike?

Another thing which stands out in my mind is that i think a hardtail will be better for me than a full suspension. For the pure fact that coming from a BMX racing background ill want something agile, that i can easily chuck around the trails and i dont know whether ill be able to do that with a full suspension. Opinions?

Thanks again

Cubist

Still wavin'
The hardtail above is in my opinion the better bike. The spec is good, with good forks and so on.

The Thunder is a poorer relation, with a fork and some kit that you will find on £500 hardtails.

Don't discount other bikes at this pricepoint though. I know you like the Focus, but compare it with the Cube Ltd Race on offer at Chainreaction, and see what you could get for the same money. The frame geometry looks very similar, and the overall bike is a claimed 1.5kg lighter.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44335

Then compare your Focus full susser with a Boardman team FS, and you see real value for money. http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbfs/fs_team.html

It's your money, and of course your choice. Hardtail means you have to do all the work, but you get ample reward in terms of adrenaline and climbing superiority.

OP
OP
D

DanPrice

As nearly everyone has recommended the Boardman HT PRO & the Boardman FS Team, i decided to go over to Halfords in my lunch break today and have a look.

They both look really nice (as the pictures on the internet dont do them any justice)

In comparison to the Focus whats better for the money etc?

And also in comparison to each other which is best?

I think id like a hardtail, although im very tempted to go for a full suspension. As ive wisened up to the fact that i wont be tearing around on it like i used to a BMX on a track.

Again thanks everyone, your opinions really do help. :smile:

Cyclist33

You need to ride the bikes before you choose; they will feel very different.

Hey

If you haven't already bought, I would pick the 700 quid Expert as it's a great spec for that price, feckin light, looks great and you'll have 2-300 quid left over. You have to ask yourself if you really need the higher priced bikes

Stu

OP
OP
D

DanPrice

Not bought a bike yet, still in about 4 different minds.

I started off not being that interested in the Boardmans, but I've really started to like them now.

I've also seen a Gt Aggressor XCR in Halfords for 799.99, which has 15% off at the moment so it's going for £679.99.

And also a Carrera Banshee X which is £699.99, also with 15% off making It £609.99.

I've tried the whole range of the Boardmans an feel no difference really (because it's a short ride around the car park)

So this hasn't helped either because I can't figure out which Boardman I should go for if I was to choose 1 of these over the other 2. As the differences are purely just parts, which I know relatively little about.

I'm starting to wish I wouldn't have bothered now.

OP
OP
D

DanPrice

I've been in to my local Giant shop to see what they had in there as I really loved my TCR Advanced road bike I had.

They had the Anthem X4 going for £1100 instead of £1400 which looks really tempting.

The frame and forks alone separately seem to be £995 + £400ish.

They also do a 6 month interest free payment plan too which sounds good.

Does anyone know much about these at all? Better than the Boardman/Focus etc?

Top Bottom