Which Bike??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisUK

Hello eveyone, im new here so firstly ill say hi and secondly ive been riding again for about a year now and im looking to invest in a new road bike as thats where i seem to be doing most of my cycling.

Im looking to spend around £550 / £600 but im unsure about what to get. Ive been looking at bianchi and specialized mainly. What do you guys think??

Thanks

Chris

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi ChrisUK and welcome.

The likes of Specialized, Bianchi, Giant, Trek are the big brands and all offer competent kit at your price level. A few things are important IMO when choosing.

Firstly, knowing what you want the bike to be able to do? i.e long rides/short rides, club runs, 4 seasons (Mudguard compatability), commuting? Maybe need a rack to carry a few bits and pieces. Also, what terrain will you be covering? Hilly or mainly flat... this affects gearing choice, not much call for a triple in Norfolk... etc.
Next, the bike needs to fit you well, some shops do a basic measuring service (about £30-£40 which is often refunded when a full-price bike is bought), good fit is very important. Also, the choice and suppoprt of your LBS can be a major factor... do you feel the service is good and the advice genuine?
Finally, get the shop to set the chosen bike(s) up for you amnd let you test-ride. Specification is one thing, but all bikes feel different.

Oh, and keep asking questions... plenty help here.

OP
OP
C

ChrisUK

thanks for the quick reply and advice,

at the moment i do in the region of 20 miles after work about four times a week on average. Im hoping to increase these distances with a new bike. i would also be looking to use it as a form of commuting to and from work. Fortunately the rather flat roads of greater london mean i wont be having to tackle too many large hills.

I went to evans cycles in kingston this morning to ask a few questions such as frame size and even though it was saturday i was slightly dissapointed in thier service, i had to ask three guys the same question before one even came to talk to me about it and when they did they didnt really seem that interested.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
;) ChrisUK !
No doubt you have had a good look around the Forum and seen lots of diverse opinions but mostly encouraging :rofl: !

If you haven't already done so, have a look at the 3rd (LBS Recommendations) and 4th (My advice to newbies) posts (Sticky) on the Beginners section and plough through them ! There's a lot of stuff there - and some of it is really good and useful :biggrin:

FF has provided of the questions you need to ask yourself. My only other bit of advice is not to fall inlove with the first shiny steed you see - there may be something better suited to you around the corner. You are probably intending to keep this bike for some time, so don't be rushed in to a purchase.

Here endeth the lesson ;) !

OP
OP
C

ChrisUK

im in a place called esher which is about 5 miles from kingston. I work in leatherhead at the moment.

Chris

ellis

Guru
ive recently purchased a spec allez 09 which is absolutly fantatstic and i love it £550. The only thing i would want differnt is tiagra gear changers. See if any of your local places have them in i love it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
ChrisUK said:
im in a place called esher which is about 5 miles from kingston. I work in leatherhead at the moment.

Chris

Hi Chris, I familiar with the area, but not specific bike shops. Suggest starting a seperate thread "Bike shop reccomendation Kingston/Leatherhead area... kinda thing.

There's Pearson Cycles in Sutton and Bike Plus/Geoffrey Butler in S. Croydon. Call Kingston Wheelers, they'll tell who's good around Kingston.

Where do you work in Leatherhead... I used to work at LFRA (now LFI) in Randalls way and commuted from Epsom every day, long tome ago though, mid 80's :biggrin:

Willow

Hi I live fairly close and commute on A246 to Guildford. Have you tried Dorking there are several bike shops there. I bought a hybrid from the one near the station (can't remember the name) they were very helpful but don't recall seeing road bikes only hybrids and mountains. If you find someone fantastic let me know as got a feeling my relatively new hybrid may have a fairly short life now I'm getting back into the cycling.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
ChrisUK, have you had a read through the Beginners section ? Look for the threads relating to 'bike for Newbie' or similar. There are lots of them with all sorts of advice.

I don't know the 2 bikes you give links to but do you know the difference between Sora and Tiagra gear shifters ? That's the sort of thing which could make the decision easier. [and I'm not trying to put you down or anything :ohmy:]

Most of the responses here are to do with finding you a good LBS. It's really worth going to a good LBS and putting your requests and questions to them. Build a relationship with them, test ride the bikes (very important), then you will be in a good place to make your own decision - and live with it :ohmy:

Top Bottom