Which bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

heliosphan

I have made some poor decisions in the last year, among them I bought a Specialized Sirrus Comp, with the intention of cycling with the family, cycling to the station, and the occasional triathlon. It is a great bike, but the triathlons (and training) are the only thing that I have used it for, and I can't see that changing. So I intend to trade it in, and use that ££ and a little more to buy a racer. Problem is, I do not know which to go for. In fact, I really don't know where to start, having never owned a racer before. I did consider changing some of the components on the Sirrus, (and have put thnner tyres on and dropped the handlebars) but it seems that I may as well start again.

I am about 6'6" - and seem to be at the very top end of the size ranges, and some brands do not seem to make frames big enough. I would rather get something that I will not have to replace again in a few years. I looked at the Ribble website, and they seem to be excellent value, but I am not sure that I can trade in my Sirrus (which is pretty important in funding the new bike). I reckon that I am in the £1,000 bracket (at most), and have looked at various brands, but I do not know enough about group sets, carbon forks, frames, Camagnolo vs Shimano etc etc. I have been into a few bike shops and had to fight off over-enthusiastic sales staff. I have looked at the Specialized Allez, a few Wilier, but don't really know what I am looking at , and don't want to make another mistake!

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks all.

PS I apologise of this is an oft used question. There are 79 pages in this section, and I confess that I have not browsed through them.

Top Bottom