Which Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2Jags

I know advice is to go out and try bikes but are there any strong feelings about the relative merits of:

Cube Attempt

Secialized Secteur Elite

Trek 2.1

I have a 10 mile, hilly commute, do some light weekend cycling and fancy making the jump from hybrid to road bike.

I am definitely seeking a triple. My budget is £1,000 (C2W) and would like something that is nippy up the hills but doesn't require a trip to the chiropractor after navigating the local pot holes.

Any other suggestions for similar bikes appreciated.

Herbie

Veteran
get a Dawes Galaxy. strong and quick when you want it to be.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have the Spesh Secteur Elite. And imo is exactly what you are looking for. It has a triple with 105 Shimano components. I found the Alu frame to be a little harsh at first but soon got used to it. Weights 10kgs, so nice and light. It has a 'relaxed' geometry compared to other Specialized road bikes. Having a longer wheelbase and a higher headtube it's designed for comfort and long time in the saddle. So less of the head down roadie style compared say to the Allez.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have had a test ride of the Trek 2.1. Its got a nice bang for your buck! It was not the bike for me, due to personal preference. It is also slightly more relaxed geometry wise like the Secteur, so more comfortable than an out and out roadie. Looks very nice, which at the end of the day, counts for a lot, along with how it feels to ride, since most bikes by the big brands at £1k are pretty much like for like component/spec wise. You will be choosing a bike on how it feel to ride and how it looks. The spec will pretty much be like for like. Unless you spring for a Planet X or Boardman, where you will get a better spec for your money, but possibly at the cost of other things, such as post-sales service, bike setup etc in the case of Boardman, since they come from Halfords.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi Rob,
the Secteur's have a relaxed geometry they are based on Specilized Roubaix models, definitely not out and out Roadie.

Rob3rt said:
I have had a test ride of the Trek 2.1. Its got a nice bang for your buck! It was not the bike for me, due to personal preference. It is also slightly more relaxed geometry wise than an all out roadie like the Secteur. Looks very nice, which at the end of the day, counts for a lot, along with how it feels to ride, since most bikes by the big brands at £1k are pretty much like for like component/spec wise. You will be choosing a bike on how it feel to ride and how it looks. The spec will pretty much be like for like. Unless you spring for a Planet X or Boardman, where you will get a better spec for your money, but possibly at the cost of other things, such as post-sales service, bike setup etc in the case of Boardman, since they come from Halfords.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
ianrauk said:
Hi Rob,
the Secteur's have a relaxed geometry they are based on Specilized Roubaix models, definitely not out and out Roadie.

Sorry that was poorly worded on my part, what I meant was that the Trek 2.1 is like the Secteur, in that it is more relaxed geometry wise than a full on roadie. Edited for clarification ^^

Top Bottom