Which Bright Front Light Has a NARROW Beam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Helmet mountable - get an Ultrafire 501B torch.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Helmet lights are less than ideal because you will dazzle oncoming road users (if there are any) when you inevitably glance in their direction.

Having said that, I do carry a head torch on long rides because it's handy if you need to fettle in the dark.

Or go behind a bush for a pee without falling into a ditch.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Helmet lights are less than ideal because you will dazzle oncoming road users (if there are any) when you inevitably glance in their direction.
I wore one on a late autumn 200 km audax once. I rode the last couple of hours in the dark and had a helmet light on as a well as a bike mounted front light. I was getting dazzled by oncoming drivers who weren't dipping their lights but I discovered that I could remind them to by pointing the helmet light at them and then 'flicking' the beam down to the road surface. Every one of the drivers then dipped, so it was obvious that they had been dazzling me carelessly rather than deliberately.

Having said that, I do carry a head torch on long rides because it's handy if you need to fettle in the dark.
Also handy for checking maps and road signs in the dark. (The audax ride mentioned above was before I bought a GPS.)

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Road primarily.
I haven't needed to buy a new one since 2011 but my Lezyne is still going strong after nine years on the original battery. I guess they still come with 3-4 different settings for the beam including a blinky.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Have a look at Torchy the Battery Boy's site.
~ Here ~
He has photos of many lights/beams etc.
He can then sell you what you want!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
And forget any idea of putting a front light on your head.

I tried a head mounted light once.

Apart from the risk of dazzling other road users, I found it was rarely pointing where I wanted it to.

I think I must move my head from side to side and particularly up and down more than I previously realised.

I tried a head mounted light once.

Apart from the risk of dazzling other road users, I found it was rarely pointing where I wanted it to.

I think I must move my head from side to side and particularly up and down more than I previously realised.
Also the risk of addtional injury if you have a fall/accident, whích always strikes me as odd as folks are presumably trying to make things safer with a light.

Top Bottom