Which Car Do You Remember with Affection from your Youth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not so much my youth but I adored my ford puma

Beautiful and a joy to drive

My dad and my uncle and my stepdad were all car nuts so my growing up was a stream of interesting motors. Including:

Alfa_Romeo_museum_-_Alfa_Romeo_Giulia_TI_Super.jpg

49093_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

Brochure-Early-001.jpg

1978-toyota-celica-gt-left-front.jpg

5659464646_352636b3da_b.jpg

ExAlanChatterton1.jpg

ebay596280.jpg

Alfa_Romeo_Alfasud_L_%2820510281462%29.jpg

1973-1974_Ford_Cortina_%27Bakkie%27.jpg

Lotus%201.jpg

9bb0a8ded313f57baecc807b8f99db2adb0f1313.jpg

3595649035_152d339bf8_z.jpg

36155474310_20f5caf4cc_b.jpg

0492c14ee4b75efde3b51701ff66800f.jpg

624372-1000-0@2x.jpg

1970_Ford_P7b_Taunus_20M_TS.jpg

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Yeah you're right, headlights are streamlined in.

There was a DB7 outside a warehouse I used to do business with near Edinburgh a few years ago. It was filthy, in lousy condition and it looked like it hadn't moved from the same spot in ages. Inside it was full of KFC boxes and rubbish. The warehouse went bust so I had no reason to go back but months later I was told that the guy who owned the warehouse was a self-made millionaire in the cash and carry business, something of a legend in the Asian community and he was known to buy Aston Martins, run them into the ground then just walk away from them and buy another one.

It was said he left the keys in them.

mikeymustard

Veteran
You would think he would at least put it in his garage.
He probably cant get it in his garage for all the bikes.

Oh no, that's mine!

I nearly bought a DB5 in 1981. I found it at Sedgeberrow Garage near Evesham for £2500. It had been hand-painted in tangerine but it was sound underneath.

Because of a bad encounter with the Corgi version as a kid (I bought it with my pocket money then left it in the toilets in Woolworths - my mum refused to buy me another one; I'm still in therapy over it :smile:) I've always loved the DB4 & 5, so I thought, yeah I can just about afford this. Unfortunately, as I was only 21, the best insurance I could get for it was £2600 third party only! Yep, they wouldn't even offer me fire and theft for that!
So in the end I bought a Triumph Vitesse convertible for £400 (I already had a vitesse saloon), a friend helped me add a brake servo and it eventually got turned into a 2.5 litre, by putting in the crank and pistons from a scrapped 2.5 saloon. Handling, especially as 2500, was, erm, interesting. Oversteer was so predictable I could actually drive it sideways! And the japs think they invented drift cars! :smile:
I don't think I could've loved the Aston any more than that vitesse, I'd buy another instantly if I could afford it

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
View attachment 390293
I first remember my Dad buying one of these. The colour was dark blue. A Ford Anglia, similar to the Popular. He drove us from London to The Highlands of Scotland for a holiday in it.
View attachment 390295
My first car was one of these, a123e with a 1200 cc engine.
My dad's first car was an Anglia in Spruce Green with a cream roof - just like that one... CWT 738B [how do we remember early number plates?]

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My first car was a sky blue 1200 VW Beetle, WDW 824K, which I couldn't afford to run.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
The submarine version was immortalised in the Bond film 'the spy who loved me', and while cycling down the Mall towards Buck Pal recently I saw this:
KdwaCAs.jpg

I knew it was a Lotus Esprit, but had never seen a black and gold one. I looked it up when I got home, the 'T' plate makes it from 1978, and its a special edition to commemorate Lotus winning the F1 world championship in 1978, which they did in the famous black and gold colours of their ciggie sponsor at the time, John Player Special. Less than 300 were made, making it pretty rare, and I have to say for a 40 year old car it still looks pretty damn cool:becool:. @Reynard will like this I suspect^_^.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The submarine version was immortalised in the Bond film 'the spy who loved me', and while cycling down the Mall towards Buck Pal recently I saw this:
View attachment 442948
I knew it was a Lotus Esprit, but had never seen a black and gold one. I looked it up when I got home, the 'T' plate makes it from 1978, and its a special edition to commemorate Lotus winning the F1 world championship in 1978, which they did in the famous black and gold colours of their ciggie sponsor at the time, John Player Special. Less than 300 were made, making it pretty rare, and I have to say for a 40 year old car it still looks pretty damn cool:becool:. @Reynard will like this I suspect^_^.

Perhaps you can't afford the car but what about the bike?

$_86.JPG

I think someone here is selling one.

My old man had one of these a Vauxhall Velox. Big bench seat at the front, wafting around Dorset fairly sedately (80 odd hp from a six cylinder?). The gearbox eventually destroyed itself in Brixham on the way to Cornwall, so not the best start to our summer jolies. Relaced by a more reliable Volvo 144, but not the same fun.
1920px-%2760-%2762_Vauxhall_Velox_Sedan_%28Hudson%29.jpg

mikeymustard

Veteran
My old man had one of these a Vauxhall Velox. Big bench seat at the front, wafting around Dorset fairly sedately (80 odd hp from a six cylinder?). The gearbox eventually destroyed itself in Brixham on the way to Cornwall, so not the best start to our summer jolies. Relaced by a more reliable Volvo 144, but not the same fun.
View attachment 443020
I never paid these monsters much heed as a kid (they already looked old fashioned in the 60s), but all these years later I think they look amazing! "Wafting" is definitely what they do!

Top Bottom