Which cheese is best for a ploughmans??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Despite being more of a minimal tillage kind of a gal..
Think heavy discs, and then springtines..

I do occasionally plough, if a weed infestation has gone too far...

My favoured cheese for lunch that day, would either be a Dunlop style cheddar.

Or a hard goat.
Such as perfected by Quickes here in Devon.

Plus crusty white bread, lots of butter.

And something like runner bean, or green tomato chutney..
I always found the Dunlop cheese from Ayrshire a bit bland but then I am spoiled by having a cheesemaker a few minutes away who does real cheese and not the mass produced rubbish.
I have to be careful what I say anyway as his wife is the Practice Nurse and sticks needles into me on a regular basis but It is still very good cheese.:angel:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I likes a crusty cob, a strong cheese, pickle and tomato. I may throw a bit of apple in there if i have any even sometimes a bit of english mustard because sometimes i am in a rebellious mood...

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Cheddar or any similar semi-hard cheese, e.g. Red Leicester, Double Gloucester, etc. But yes, only one (and Stilton or Shropshire blue if any is available).

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I had a period where I was, for self diagnosis purposes, following a Gluten free diet. This is about 8 or so years ago. I followed the diet for a period of 7 months and found the gluten free breads to be dire, there were a couple of brands that I found almost palatable, but I just stopped eating the stuff in the end. I don't know if the situation has improved, it certainly has with the availability of Vegetarian / Vegan foods so perhaps more research has been put into gluten free products.
( For seven Months I followed a Soya free, Gluten free, Vegan diet. Once the cause of my medical issues was diagnosed I reintroduced the omitted food groups one at a time on a monthly basis, and noted any changes that I felt due to the reintroduction ) Gluten did make me feel slightly bloated for the first week or so, but my body soon became reconditioned to it.
My wife is celiac. So I have a deep knowledge of gluten free products.
There are very few bread items which are worth eating. They are just dry and crumbly with a funny mouth feel. Gluten clearly brings moisture and bounce to the party.
Pasta is ok but not as nice as the real stuff.

I would prefer nice slice of pork pie, a tomato some decent leaves - rocket would be fine - and some nice buttered bread

and a nice chutney would be a nice addition - or ketchup it necessary

just ditch the cheese - all of it - nasty horrible smelly stuff

Having never ploughed don't feel qualified to opine on their favoured lunch snacks but I have worked on harvest. My own cheese of choice as a straw-bail bumper was dairylea in white bread. Glad to report that my tastes are now more sophisticated and would extend to mature chedder, almost any local farmhouse style hard cheese, stilton and even softer white cheese. Call me a Cheese Catholic.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would prefer nice slice of pork pie, a tomato some decent leaves - rocket would be fine - and some nice buttered bread

and a nice chutney would be a nice addition - or ketchup it necessary

just ditch the cheese - all of it - nasty horrible smelly stuff
At least it's not made from pig gonads like pork pie (or worse) :whistle:

Top Bottom