Which cheese is best for a ploughmans??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
At least it's not made from pig gonads like pork pie (or worse) :whistle:
spoiler alert, pork shoulder is the cut of choice for a pork pie.:laugh:

Actually it would be very hard to find enough pig gonads to make a pies as the vast majority of male pig killed for meat have been castrated as piglets, as boar meat can taste horrible, and the female pig don't have gonads!

vickster

Legendary Member
spoiler alert, pork shoulder is the cut of choice for a pork pie.:laugh:

Actually it would be very hard to find enough pig gonads to make a pies as the vast majority of male pig killed for meat have been castrated as piglets, as boar meat can taste horrible, and the female pig don't have gonads!
Hence the 'or worse' (to pad out the gonads
whistling.gif
)

Maybe a home made one is made of a choice cut...

The end product is still minging though if it contains meat, jelly and pastry

Anyhow the thread title is about cheese :laugh:

Last edited:
An extra mature of vintage cheddar - as it's by the best vehicle for chutney accompaniment. Plus crusty bread and lots of butter, and maybe some cucumber pickles on the side if you're inclined.

A pork pie is a good, erm, side dish, but it's got to be a good 'un. The more you spend on a pork pie, the better they get. A cheap pork pie is not a very nice thing to eat. (N.B. Pork shoulder and pork belly are what's used to make pork pie.)

Commercial chutneys are horrendously sweet @vickster - I'll agree with you there. Horrible stuff. That's cos sugar is waaaay cheaper than proper ingredients. A good chutney should be a balance between sweet, sharp and spicy. :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
An extra mature of vintage cheddar - as it's by the best vehicle for chutney accompaniment. Plus crusty bread and lots of butter, and maybe some cucumber pickles on the side if you're inclined.

A pork pie is a good, erm, side dish, but it's got to be a good 'un. The more you spend on a pork pie, the better they get. A cheap pork pie is not a very nice thing to eat. (N.B. Pork shoulder and pork belly are what's used to make pork pie.)

Commercial chutneys are horrendously sweet @vickster - I'll agree with you there. Horrible stuff. That's cos sugar is waaaay cheaper than proper ingredients. A good chutney should be a balance between sweet, sharp and spicy. :okay:
And that's the three things I don't like about chutney...plus the slippery texture and lumpy bits xx(

FrothNinja

Veteran
Pour moi....an aged Cheddar, a mature Lancashire, a blob of brown pickle, a feisty pickled onion, a juicy crisp British apple, plenty of water cress or a generous serve of mustard and cress, and a ripe home grown tomato or two. If I was being greedy some ham too, either cut off the bone or air dried, and possibly some freshly baked bread. Its yummy and dangerously close to being healthy if you forgo the bread and ham.

FrothNinja

Veteran
And it shouldn't be slippery or sloppy. Or lumpy, for that matter. It should be thick, spreadable and stay put where you spread it. :okay:

I'll challenge you not to like my apple, date and ginger.
That sounds good - do you use tamarind instead of vinegar? Worth trying if you haven't done so before.

Nice wedge of Shropshire Red from Bolton Farm. Pork pie, pickled onion, homemade chutney and thick sliced buttered bread. Tomato and lettuce on the side. Homemade coleslaw optional extra

That sounds good - do you use tamarind instead of vinegar? Worth trying if you haven't done so before.

I've never used tamarind... Just ordinary vinegar from Tesco.

2 parts cooking apple, one part date (pitted and chopped) and one part onion, plus a good chunk of root ginger and some chipotle chillies. For 2lbs fruit, 1 tsp salt, 12oz sugar and half a pint of vinegar.

Currently have a jar of last year's on the go - it's just the ticket with the 18 month matured Cornish cheddar that's in the fridge. :hungry:

Gillstay

Über Member
Cheshire cheese and a Spartan apple in England, Camenbert and good Pear when cycling in France, What ever you can afford when in Switzerland and that does include the bread.

Top Bottom