Which cheese is best for a ploughmans??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Copied from Wikipedia.
Pierce the Ploughman's Crede (c. 1394) mentions the traditional ploughman's meal of bread, cheese, and beer. Bread and cheese formed the basis of the diet of English rural labourers for centuries: skimmed-milk cheese, supplemented with a little lard and butter, was their main source of fats and protein.[3] In the absence of access to expensive seasonings, onions were the "favoured condiment",[4] as well as providing a valuable source of vitamin C
May give you an idea to be traditional.

The term 'ploughman's lunch' is reckoned to have been coined by the Cheese Bureau in 1957 to promote the sale of cheese in pub lunches.

https://wordhistories.net/2019/04/30/ploughmans-lunch/

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It has to be strong cheddar for me.

For those who don't go into pubs or only go into nice ones how about a home made version of?

I haven't seen them for years, but you could use those flavoured Kraft/StIvel/Dairylea triangles, tomato, chives, gruyere etc if you want to go up market.

Add some Wotsits as a side and for refreshments Watney's Party 7s was available on Amazon recently and Colt 45 is definitely still available.

For years people will be saying that they never had a lunch like it.:laugh:

T4tomo

Guru
Yep because it’s disgusting (other than mango with poppadoms and raita!):okay:
mango chutney goes surprising well in a cheddar sandwich too, if that's the only chutney/pickle your unsophisticated southern palate can tolerate :okay:

Landsurfer

Veteran
My Great Grandmother would put together “Ploughman's Lunches” for the field hands and workers on their farm in Ulster.
Cold boiled potatoes, cold boiled eggs, a tomato and a paper twist of salt. The men had billy cans they would brew up tea in ... as a very young child it was my job to collect sticks to keep the billy fire going when ever i visited the farm for holidays.

postman

Legendary Member
Once you start fannying about with brie, stilton and cheshire, it's become a blimmin' cheeseboard.
Thats fine if you're after a cheese board, but this is ploughman's. So cheddar, bread, butter, onions, beer. This is serious business. No salad, no sourdough toast, no scotch eggs, no chutneys, no jus, no sweet potato puree swirls, no tuilles.
Plough men didn't have them, and you're damn well not having them either.

Just like yesterday,Mrs P took me out to a gluten free style cafe,no proper sarnies,fancy named things with no substance apart from the eye watering price,not for me thank you won't be rushing back.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Despite being more of a minimal tillage kind of a gal..
Think heavy discs, and then springtines..

I do occasionally plough, if a weed infestation has gone too far...

My favoured cheese for lunch that day, would either be a Dunlop style cheddar.

Or a hard goat.
Such as perfected by Quickes here in Devon.

Plus crusty white bread, lots of butter.

And something like runner bean, or green tomato chutney..

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just like yesterday,Mrs P took me out to a gluten free style cafe,no proper sarnies,fancy named things with no substance apart from the eye watering price,not for me thank you won't be rushing back.
I had a period where I was, for self diagnosis purposes, following a Gluten free diet. This is about 8 or so years ago. I followed the diet for a period of 7 months and found the gluten free breads to be dire, there were a couple of brands that I found almost palatable, but I just stopped eating the stuff in the end. I don't know if the situation has improved, it certainly has with the availability of Vegetarian / Vegan foods so perhaps more research has been put into gluten free products.
( For seven Months I followed a Soya free, Gluten free, Vegan diet. Once the cause of my medical issues was diagnosed I reintroduced the omitted food groups one at a time on a monthly basis, and noted any changes that I felt due to the reintroduction ) Gluten did make me feel slightly bloated for the first week or so, but my body soon became reconditioned to it.

Top Bottom