Which cheese is best for a ploughmans??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
And it shouldn't be slippery or sloppy. Or lumpy, for that matter. It should be thick, spreadable and stay put where you spread it. :okay:

I'll challenge you not to like my apple, date and ginger.
Dates xx(xx(xx( (don’t like anything that tastes of ginger either).
And I like apples in their natural form or in crumble :whistle:
Sorry you won’t convince me about putting chutney or any sort of pickle near cheese!!
(Especially if there are dates in it)

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Traditionally cheddar, although I prefer Double Gloucester.

Not Kraft Singles under any circumstances though.

I think in a 'traditional' ploughmans lunch - as eaten by a ploughman - you'd have whichever cheese of the area was easily and cheaply available - and 'in season' as it were. Which might mean anything from a fresh curd cheese to a dried rind of a mousetrap and all variations between.
In cooler and wetter parts of the UK, the bread would be made with a significant % of barley, oats, rye and even pea/bean flour, and I suppose the ploughman would think himself lucky if he got a wizened apple as well.

Perhaps it's as well the 'traditional' ploughmans lunch has developed, changed and improved so much!

dodgy

I love a Ploughmans, but they seem to have disappeared from the menus of pubs in the last 10 years or so.
Anyway, for cheese a good cheddar and maybe a crumbly white cheese also.

I would have thought that, as a basic workman's lunch (not meaning to be sexist, sorry Mudsticks) it would consist of the most common local cheese available, so unless you are a ploughman any talk of the 'best' cheese is just a bit lah-di-dah.

Having said that I am partial to Caerphilly in mine. :whistle:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
spoiler alert, pork shoulder is the cut of choice for a pork pie.:laugh:

Actually it would be very hard to find enough pig gonads to make a pies as the vast majority of male pig killed for meat have been castrated as piglets, as boar meat can taste horrible, and the female pig don't have gonads!
Female pigs certainly do have gonads (unless spayed).

Although back on topic, a medium cheddar with some homemade chutney.

Or occasionally a bit of emmental, just to annoy purists. Ha, Strings & Things.

I always wondered what the World will be like without Cheese. I remember cheese as proper food as a wee toddler and thought it was amazing. I still do. What a wonderful invention. Cuts across culture, class and prejudices. If I was Moses or Mohammed, and given one choice by the almighty I would have picked cheese over any scripture, tablet or teaching. I bet there would be more peace.

I always wondered what the World will be like without Cheese. I remember cheese as proper food as a wee toddler and thought it was amazing. I still do. What a wonderful invention. Cuts across culture, class and prejudices. If I was Moses or Mohammed, and given one choice by the almighty I would have picked cheese over any scripture, tablet or teaching. I bet there would be more peace.
Well , from my cheese hating point of view, it would make restaurant menus and new ready meals less of a mine field!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
When we first visited south of France 1982 we were amazed at the variety compared to what the uk had.....it was like being in cheesey heaven.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Decision made.
My mate and I.....back in the 80s used to play golf then go to a pub for a ploughmans. I am going to re create that.
Good quality cheddar
Good quality cheshire
Pickled onions
Drivers chutney
Romaine lettuce as a side
Fresh bread n butter.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Romaine lettuce as a side
giphy (32).gif

I can see the 10 Commandments Cheese Tablets being a big hit in bible belt Murica.
Cheese Koran...not work-safe.

Since chutney popped up. I have been to India and supposedly the home of chutneys. Their's are not in the sweet range. More savoury, tangy etc. I met a bloke who told me that our chutneys originated from India but it was the Anglo-Indian version. A distinct variation from the original sub continent version and that it was the work of the British Raj as a preservative from the climate.

Top Bottom