which clipless pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bricksmasher

Hi all,

still fairly new to the whole, cylcing/road bikes

Building up a new bike, and looking for some reccommendations on cycling clipless pedals, are there any in particular that you'd recommend, and are the relatively easy to install onto the crank arm/ tools needed?

Thanks

Check out the Clipless Pedals sticky, it might give you an idea where to start. A pedal spanner is all you really need just remember that the left hand crank is wrong, I just remember into the frame to loosen. On pedals I personally like to use A520 spd touring pedals and a stiff pair of mtb shoes but on my summer bike I use SPD-SL but there's lots of competitors out there. I feel my A520's are almost as efficient and just as comfortable as spd-sl's but I gain on the walkability front.

Hont

Guru
If you've not used clipless before SPDs are the cheapest IIRC, so represent the least risk if you don't get on with them. I'd recommend those to start and you can always upgrade later. I use speedplay, but they're £100+

I just remember into the frame to loosen.
I just remember that "left" is wrong - being right handed. ;)

OP
OP
bricksmasher

bricksmasher

Cheers :smile:

Have used clipless before though they were supplied when bought bike and not too sure what they were I have to admit

I'm not needing anything really special, so seem easy enough to install too that's handy :smile:

Thanks

Remember to put some grease on the threads before you put them on the cranks. It stops them sticking so you can remove them later if you need to.

Radman

Shimano pdm520 for around £20,you will also need a pedal spanner,remember once fitted try practising clipping in and out of the pedals before venturing out on the roads

OP
OP
bricksmasher

bricksmasher

Cheers :smile:

I have used clipless before, had one or two awkward moments ;) but I think they're much better personally

thnurg

Rebel without a clue
When I first went clipless I used Shimano PD-M534 pedals. These have cleat bindings on one side and a flat pedal on the other so you can unclip if you are in heavy traffic or if you get uncomfortable while clipped in for a long time.

You may get annoyed with them after a while once you want to clip in all the time and you have to faff to get them the right way up, but at the beginning I was so relieved to be able to unclip at times.

Bicycle

I'm a fan of Crank Bros stuff.

Egg Beaters if you're only going to wear cycling shoes and Candies (which have a small platform) if you like to go barefooted or in espadrilles.

The clipping-in process is so magnificently easywith Crank bros stuff that any other pedal can seem like hard work (even though none of them really is).

You'll end up with the ones you like the most.

And whichever you choose you will love them.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got Shimano M520s on the road bike and I love them. They are SPD pedals so you can use them with "trainer-type" shoes ( the ones that have the cleats recessed ) and walk about in comfort. If you find a pair of shoes that fit well, you will be happy to wear them absolutely all the time, no matter if you are walking, or on the bike, or at your workplace. I found that North Wave shoes fit my slightly wide feet really comfortably.

Here are the pedals....also available not in white, and probably for a few quid cheaper elsewhere...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759

OP
OP
bricksmasher

bricksmasher

Thanks guys, appreciate the above link, look quite good... I have got some shoes already but in must look for some with the inner cleats as mine are difficult to walk in and nit practical to need 2 pairs of shoes!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Another easy reminder for removing pedals is to pull the spanner towards the back wheel for both pedals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith, Old Bean.......ergghh......doesn't that depend on the vertical alignment of the spanner when you start??????????:biggrin:

BTW, bog standard 15mm A/F spanners usually work and are thin enough to get into the gap.

Top Bottom