Which computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rip Van

Guru
I've had the Cateye HR200DW for about a year. IMHO it's a great computer, never had any problems with it and that's a pretty good price. Only downside is that it works from the front wheel. I don't know about the Delphi but I had a neuro 5 (wireless cadence) until I pushed it out the bracket when fiddling with the buttons, then a car ran it over. It wasn't so straight forward to operate as the Cateye. There's a Cateye that does all the Neuro and Delphi 5 does, wirelessly, ;)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cateye_Strada_Double_Wireless_Cycle_Computer/5360042725/

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/0104640/UK

PS. If anyone wants a second bike kit for a Neuro 5 I've got all the bits including stem & bar mounts/spacers but with out the cable ties.

jamesxyz

for that sort of price try one of the new mavic wintechs the 2010 model - not sure if they're out yet but have a USB built in so you can download the data straight to your PC

Biggest prob wth computers IMHO is lack of faciltites for downloading so you have to input into cyclogs or something similar

OP
OP
aJohnson

aJohnson

jamesxyz said:
for that sort of price try one of the new mavic wintechs the 2010 model - not sure if they're out yet but have a USB built in so you can download the data straight to your PC

Biggest prob wth computers IMHO is lack of faciltites for downloading so you have to input into cyclogs or something similar

The Win-techs don't have cadence or HRM unless you spend alot more though. I think...

Garz

Squat Member
I just bought a boardman wireless, tested it riding round the lake district today.

OP
OP
aJohnson

aJohnson

Garz said:
I just bought a boardman wireless, tested it riding round the lake district today.

Ah nice, how do you find it?

I get a free computer when I subscribed to Cycling + which has cadence I think, so I'll be waiting for that to test that first.

jamesxyz

aJohnson said:
The Win-techs don't have cadence or HRM unless you spend alot more though. I think...

yeah basic model about 60 notes rising to about 100 fro 'ultimate' with altimeter, HR & cadence

Garz

Squat Member
aJohnson said:
Ah nice, how do you find it?

Its not bad, can be rather fiddly to set-up (sensors not the computer), however it was a birthday present to me so pleased as I can watch my cadence till im content that I don't need it. Handy too for showing speed, time, temperature. Happy with it but a revised model could make it awesome instead of good.

OP
OP
aJohnson

aJohnson

Garz said:
Its not bad, can be rather fiddly to set-up (sensors not the computer), however it was a birthday present to me so pleased as I can watch my cadence till im content that I don't need it. Handy too for showing speed, time, temperature. Happy with it but a revised model could make it awesome instead of good.

Nice, was just looking at them before, they have one for altitude.

Hmmm, which would be more important for me, HRM or Cadence.

Garz

Squat Member
HRM isnt essential as a young lad like you wont need to work on fitness just experience. What I would do if I was you is get a good cadence computer, and if you feel like the need for a HRM maybe get a seperate watch for different training rides.

The boardman computers do one for cadence one for altitude. As I take my mobile phone it tracks my rides and logs altitude anyway, but I would prefer to watch cadence over altitude anyway.

I've been using the Cateye HR200DW for about 9 months too. It has performed reliably and accurately with no noticeable interference. However I didn't find it intuitive to use and kept referring to the manual for weeks. Eventually I sussed the various functions and narrowed them down to the ones I use.

It's worth mentioning the heart rate transmitter is a bit fiddly. The sensors are not an integral part of the elasticated chest strap but two wired electrodes which clip to the strap. In my experience they are prone to slipping off. Still worth it if you can get it at that price but I see it's marked "out of stock" at Ribble.

Top Bottom