Which E.V ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I want a Tesla model 3 but they’re expensive. Would it be better to lease or PCP or HPI one?
What other E.V’s can we consider?

My wife's son has the Hyundai Ionic - seems very good
He is also jealous because the new version is apparently even better

I want a Tesla model 3 but they’re expensive. Would it be better to lease or PCP or HPI one?
What do you want from the car ? What mileage do you do ? No point paying for a huge battery if you never need it.

gzoom

Über Member
There are so many EVs around now its like asking 'which car should I buy?'.

If you after the best 'value for range' than a MG or Renault Zoe is hard to beat.

If you want a good balance between gadgets and utility the lower priced Hyundai/Kia EVs are great, as well as the ID3 from VW.

If you have a £40-50k budget (via PCP or cash) you literally are spoilt for choice, Tesla, Polstar, 'premium' Hyundai/Kia offerings, BMW, Skoda, VW ID3/4s.

Up the budget to £70k+ and you are looking at Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, and if you wait the updated Tesla S/Xs.

Overall the decision will be done to which brand you feel most attracted too, Tesla have a very specific design physiology (virtually no physical interior buttons), and focus almost as much on software development as hardware changes. Some people really hate Tesla for some reason, but the majority of actual owners love the cars (like my self).

Interms of pure popularity as a brand, in the EV world Tesla is pretty dominant. Price is still the biggest barrier, we would like a Model Y to replace my wifes Lexus but Tesla keeps on putting the prices up, £56k is very expensive for even the 'entry level' version.

However having closely followed EV development and the market since 2015, it I had £100k to spare today I would buy another Tesla Model X, and for £50k I would still get a Model 3 over any other EV. The design philosophy is so different from any other brand, our car despite having the same interior design as the original 2011 Model S still feels like driving the future compared to any other EV on sale today :smile:.

51445971117_d673356995_c_d.jpg

51546446664_3fabb56491_c_d.jpg

Leasing, HP or PCP is a very personal decision, and everyones finances are different so it really is up to you.[/Img]

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru

Work out your daily mileage. Take note of how often you do longer journeys. If you do lots of local trips then a relatively modest genuine 150 mile vehicle will do. If you're often doing 150+ in one go look at the Tesla model 3. Buying a similar high spec VW or Hyundai will see you nearly at the price of a Tesla.

We have several EVs. Nissan 40kW Leaf and long range model 3. We use the Nissan mostly, a workhorse, school runs shopping dog walking trips, etc. Our morning journey varies between 50 and 75 miles dependant on route. We plug back in at home after school run. Wife might go shopping again a 15-20 mile journey or take the dogs a few miles into the more remote areas in the leaf 5-8 mile trip. This will be done with the Nissan after a top up. If we are both going out, We will take the Tesla and decide who has it depending on the task, usually clean non messy jobs are done in the Tesla.

I overheard a chap in the Leeds Tesla dealer saying that £525 per month on PCP with 15k mileage allowance per year. I don't know the down payment for that deal, but it wasn't a huge monthly payment. If you have business then there are BIK reductions too compared to a executive ICE car.

Here is a quick screenshot of Model 3 long range with £6k deposit 15k miles per year 48months monthly payment of £681. Adjust details to suit your requirements

Factor in the savings in not buying petrol or diesel. Basic rough calc, you will halve your expense in fuelling/charging an EV compared to an ICE. Then there is servicing-There is hardly any servicing on a Tesla. We bought a set of tyres (4) from Kwik fit Pilot sport 4 silent's for £550 after nearly 3 years. Nothing else has been needed- brakes hardly wear because you don't need them to stop, the car has such a good regen to stop feature.
I can drive all the way to school and back some 50 miles with a least 100 braking points in a conventional ICE and not apply the brakes once

That reminds me I must bleed the Tesla brakes coming up to 3 years

tesla pcp.png

Last edited:

potsy

Rambler
I really like the look of the ID3 but cannot justify buying one at the moment.
My current car is just coming up to 3 years old, and I plan to keep it a couple more years yet.

Will certainly be looking at going electric next, do very few long trips so range shouldn't be a problem.

gzoom

Über Member
It really is another world... I can't come to terms with paying more for a car than my house cost, but that day appears to have long since past.

Have you seen house prices recently;).

Sub 1% interest rates, governments printing money like its scrap paper, people making millions from Crypto....It all feeds into higher prices, its normally called inflation, but that's a bad word and the central banks have found a way to essentially ignore that for now :smile:.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can't justify the cost of a new tin box. I don't use my car enough to waste that sort of cash, never mind the environmental impact of buying new cars.

My next car will probably be a planet killer 3.7 V6, used, so no poisonous batteries were made to get it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D chose the Polestar 2 over the Tesla 3. Better built by a country mile, slightly less paper range but in reality users report the difference is negligible, less expensive, better warranty, and she didn't run the risk of becoming a smug c**k like many people do when they acquire a Tesla. We already had a suitable home charger from her previous car (XC90 T8), so that saved some pennies. Thankfully she never has the need to use public charging.

If you haven't the means to buy then leasing is liable to be cheaper. PCP sets my teeth on edge - who in their right mind pays to service and maintain a car that someone else owns?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Have you seen house prices recently;).

Sub 1% interest rates, governments printing money like its scrap paper, people making millions from Crypto....It all feeds into higher prices, its normally called inflation, but that's a bad word and the central banks have found a way to essentially ignore that for now :smile:.
It's possible to buy a 4 bedroomed house across the NE for under £120,000.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/propert...s&mustHave=&dontShow=&furnishTypes=&keywords=
... it's the 'buy to let' people who watch programmes like 'Homes Under the Hammer' who have messed everything up for young families and first time buyers.

But then they can't live in a £50,000 car either! :ohmy:

CXRAndy

Guru
I really like the look of the ID3 but cannot justify buying one at the moment.
My current car is just coming up to 3 years old, and I plan to keep it a couple more years yet.

Will certainly be looking at going electric next, do very few long trips so range shouldn't be a problem.

The only concern is at some point a government will start adding some road charging, due to the loss of VED on EV's. When that will be is unknown, but it wont be long.

I guess they will need the tech ready to charge on the roads - I know it will come but I think we are safe from that for a while yet.

Top Bottom