Which E.V ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I've leased a 40kwh leaf.

I wanted an electric car, possibly as a toy, and the finances worked out better than anything else I could find.

It's a £32k car, where I would expect that it would lose 50% of its value in depreciation over three years. The lease is costing me under £9k in 3 years.

I can't understand how they can do it, but I'm not complaining. I see electric cars as relatively new technology, meaning they could develop quite a bit in the next 3 years. I'd rather be able to hand it back than take my chances with the trade-in value.

CXRAndy

Guru
Im looking at possibly using my 40kW leaf as a battery storage unit in a couple of years. Its got 70K miles now and will be nearly 100K by then. Car wont be worth so much, but it might have a life beyond

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
The leaf lease deal looks amazing. The poster makes a good point about servicing another persons car on PCP. On lease deals you don’t have to pay for all that stuff.

Rando

Veteran
The leaf lease deal looks amazing. The poster makes a good point about servicing another persons car on PCP. On lease deals you don’t have to pay for all that stuff.
You do have to pay for servicing on lease deals in one way or another. Either you add the price to your monthly lease cost or you just pay for servicing as and when its due. All the lease deals i find online do not initially include servicing costs.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Only if you pay for maintenance [tyres and servicing] in addition to the lease- you get full VAT back on maintenance and half the VAT back on the monthly lease if it's a qualifying car, which is why it is a good arrangement if you are VAT registered. There will be an algorithm to ensure the deposit, the monthly lease payments plus the re-sale value on the return make money for the lease company, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

I used to contract hire my company cars on a 3x31 monthly lease on 12000miles p/a, without maintenance because the new cars only needed one service and 2 tyres during a 36 month contract.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
There's really not much servicing needed on an EV is there ?
Nope, virtually non. Tyres can vary, but our Leaf had its first set at 47,000 miles. No pads or fluids. Tyres on 2nd set have plenty of life at 70K miles. Dealers are still trying to rip off customers by having them come yearly to kick the tyres. Nissan is guilty of this too

This is where Tesla are eons ahead with their OTA updates. Any issues or improvements are sent free. What they normally do is add more features which is really nice keeping the car fresh with new functions.

The only other periodic service is brake fluid change at 3 years for first change and 2 yearly thereafter.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Nope, virtually non. Tyres can vary, but our Leaf had its first set at 47,000 miles. No pads or fluids. Tyres on 2nd set have plenty of life at 70K miles. Dealers are still trying to rip off customers by having them come yearly to kick the tyres. Nissan is guilty of this too

This is where Tesla are eons ahead with their OTA updates. Any issues or improvements are sent free. What they normally do is add more features which is really nice keeping the car fresh with new functions.

The only other periodic service is brake fluid change at 3 years for first change and 2 yearly thereafter.
This is just super cool. With the Tesla expense the Leaf is looking a better option. All this new tech is just making life more complicated instead of easier.

CXRAndy

Guru
This is just super cool. With the Tesla expense the Leaf is looking a better option. All this new tech is just making life more complicated instead of easier.

The Leaf gets a bad press, but its a good EV. We got the special edition 40kW model with all the features, including autosteer. Its a great car if you use it within its capabilities. Eg drive upto 130 miles before recharging. We do easily 120 miles a day during the week with the Leaf.

CXRAndy

Guru
Not quite the perfect comparison, but close enough. Model 3 base model versus Polestar 2 big battery fwd. Model Y would have been a closer comparison.
Carwow

View: https://youtu.be/ocL2pzbzH7w

I took away the Volvo is pretty much goes with the demographic it has always done, steady, reliable, not too exciting. Volvo did short change the customer by not fitting full adaptive and lane assist and wanting an extra £3k for it. :thumbsdown:

That and the very poor efficiency 3.2miles/kW. Tesla did well into 4+miles/kW.

Heck my Nissan Leaf over 70,000 miles has average 3.6miles/kW

I do like the looks of the Volvo being more traditional, but its just lagging on the tech and Tesla's Supercharger network- that no other manufacturer can get anywhere near. Soon as Tesla open up this to other makes, they will rapidly expand it further from profits on the charging.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The only concern is at some point a government will start adding some road charging, due to the loss of VED on EV's. When that will be is unknown, but it wont be long.
For sure the tax take on personal transport will have to be reconfigured in the future as we transition away from fully taxed conventionally fuelled vehicles to subsidised EV/PHEVs. However, the reconfiguration is some way off due to the still modest take up in EV/PHEV ownership so that window of low tax opportunity (which I reckon will last 5+ years) is attractive. Hence my PHEV arriving in the New Year. It's on a 48 month lease. When that expires I reckon the way forward re taxation of personal transport will be much clearer and I can make a decision then on what replaces the one that's about to arrive

CXRAndy

Guru
For sure the tax take on personal transport will have to be reconfigured in the future as we transition away from fully taxed conventionally fuelled vehicles to subsidised EV/PHEVs. However, the reconfiguration is some way off due to the still modest take up in EV/PHEV ownership so that window of low tax opportunity (which I reckon will last 5+ years) is attractive. Hence my PHEV arriving in the New Year. It's on a 48 month lease. When that expires I reckon the way forward re taxation of personal transport will be much clearer and I can make a decision then on what replaces the one that's about to arrive
Did you see my test run this morning and comparison to a 40mpg petrol car on the Leaf thread. There are huge savings to be had :okay:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I ordered a new company car a while back - I narrowed my choices to the Model 3 Long Range dual motor, VW ID.4 and the Polestar 2. After driving the Tesla I didn't even arrange a test drive in the others I just ordered one that evening. The acceleration was frankly silly and I was sold by the charging infrastructure. Its due to arrive in early December, I can't remember ever being this excited about a new car before :laugh:

I heard yesterday the ID3 and 4 currently have 50 week lead times so that's something else to consider I guess. There are rumours of Teslas being delivered with components missing and a promise of a retrofit when they become available too, crazy times! I'm waiting to see if I get a whole car delivered next month :laugh:

Top Bottom