Which electric car now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Not until the government can get a similar amount from EVs in VED and the like.

Lost track of when EV VED is starting. 2025 ?

I remember that argument being used against tobacco restrictions

midlife

Guru
Aside from age what restrictions are there buying tobacco ?

Government pocket 10 billion in tax from tobacco, I guess that’s why that haven’t priced it off the shelves.

Government take 7 billion in VED from ice cars and are unlikely to tax them off the road.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I remember that argument being used against tobacco restrictions
Totally irrelevant comparison, smoking is a lifestyle choice, some are still smoking at £10+ a packet (TBH no idea, never smoked) driving for a lot of people is a way to get to & from work now that public transport is virtually non existent, not everybody wants to live in an urban shithole.

Alex321

Veteran
What increases are expected? Fuel is cheaper now than earlier in the year, VED goes up a few quid each year and my car is ULEZ compliant. Other running costs are no more than they’ve been (a few hundred a year).
Electricity costs for charging are rising too.

I need a car to support elderly parents who are pretty local. I don’t need to spend 20k on an EV to do 4k miles a year

With EVs rapidly overtaking ICE cars in new sales, it won't be all that many years before petrol filling stations start to disappear, and then prices will go up massively for petrol.

And I suspect there will be more ZEZ coming in, plus I wouldn't be at all surprised if they start pushing VED uyp to punitive levels for ICE cars in a few years.

The laws are set to ban NEW ICE cars in 7 years time, but they want the older ones off the road ASAP after that. Which I believe is likely to happen by making it too expensive to keep running them.

byegad

Legendary Member
I think the elephant in the room re-personal mobility, is that as time goes by many drivers will be forced* away from car ownership. It will be gradual and those of us already well into retirement will not be affected as by the time it really bites we will no longer be around. Car clubs and public transport will help in keeping people moving.
I'm old enough to remember bus routes with regular services that today have no service at all, because the car killed their custom. As more people become reliant on public transport it will become more frequent and cover some of those old, forgotten routes.

*Purely by price.

Buck

Guru
The NHS changed their lease car goal posts before making a pole star 2 order. Maybe it’s because the national living minimum wage has increased. Although we can no longer get this there’s loads of other stuff been added on that we can.
I’m torn between the VW ID4 and the top level Cupra born. What would you chose & why?

Back on topic.

i think the Cupra Born is a nicer overall package (looks and styling) despite having the same underpinnings.
there are a couple of reviews on YouTube well worth the time to watch If you've not done so already

Buck

Guru
Lots of good discussion and debate on here but little about @Milzy ’s new car choice!

Perhaps a better thread for debate on EVs is here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/are-we-being-forced-to-go-electric.281248/page-181#post-6892467

D

Deleted member 26715

But is not the ID4 & the Born the same car as per Golf & Cupra or whatever the Seat Cupra is now called as it's a Cupra made by Cupra, is it a Seat Cupra or a Cupra Cupra?

Anyway aren't they the same, but both 30% more than the same car made (as in specification) by the Chinese in the form of the MG4

What increases are expected? Fuel is cheaper now than earlier in the year, VED goes up a few quid each year and my car is ULEZ compliant. Other running costs are no more than they’ve been (a few hundred a year).
Electricity costs for charging are rising too.

I need a car to support elderly parents who are pretty local. I don’t need to spend 20k on an EV to do 4k miles a year

Fuel tax might be increased in a few months time.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/359216/fuel-duty-could-be-hiked-23-next-year

Not sure i would be buying an ev vehicle yet until the UK has a better reliable charging network .

I've had my EV for two and a half years and the vast majority of charges are at home.
We only need to recharge on holiday. We do 13k miles a year in it which is well above the average I believe.

Buck

Guru
But is not the ID4 & the Born the same car as per Golf & Cupra or whatever the Seat Cupra is now called as it's a Cupra made by Cupra, is it a Seat Cupra or a Cupra Cupra?

Anyway aren't they the same, but both 30% more than the same car made (as in specification) by the Chinese in the form of the MG4

Yes the ID3 and Born share the same underpinnings in the same way that many cars do but the finishing style and user interfaces are markedly different in execution.

In the same way that Bentleys and Lamborghini’s share VW group platforms

Top Bottom