Which folding bike for me please? Brompton? Electric Folder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mapleleaves

Hi all, this is my first post, so please be kind :hello: Can you help me find a new bike with some pretty specific needs please?

I used to own a Rayleigh Electric Velo City through my work CycleScheme, which was chosen because I am quite seriously asthmatic and wanted to get fitter. The bike was seriously back end heavy due to the battery, difficult to store as I just had a small shed and the roads I lived on were fast and unnerving for a wobbly beginner. The bike was consigned to the shed and was sold recently once Cycle Scheme had confirmed the end of the period.

So, I have recently moved house to right next to this canal, which is where I want to predominantly cycle, just for pleasure. It is flat, but some has tarmac and some parts have crushed compacted chippings. I have a tiny shed, so need the bike to be a smallish folder. I am cycling on my own as an unfit beginner and not confident. I am still asthmatic. No cycle scheme available as my work has pulled out of it, so would need to be able to access finance. I am not a skinny thing at all, but working on that.

I tried out a Brompton (for the folding, weight aspect and to see if I could ride a non-electric bike) yesterday and it had 6 gears which I got completely muddled with, round the dealer car park. I got out of breath even with that. It also felt a bit wobbly and like there was nothing in front of me, due to the little wheels. I've tried out Freego bikes in the past but you get a jolt as the electric kicks in, which is why I went for the Rayleigh in the first place, their pedal assist just gently moves in and is effortless. Halfords bikes look like they are made of girders and as heavy as them too.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a folding electric bike that doesn't have that 'jolt' to start? I've seen the Tern Vektron, with it's Bosch system, which looks perfect, just cant justify £3000!

Help!

67taj8.jpg

ja972o.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Is there a branch of Decathlon near you? Thier electric folder has 20" wheels and is about £550 IIRC.

Top Bottom