Which foot do you unclip? or which should you unclip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
I try to put my left down and keep my right in, idea being that the right is my strongest leg. Combined with backpedaling to about 1 o'clock, it lets me push off from a stop easier and quicker. I sometimes forget to do this, though.

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
I can relate to that. Same here, except I haven't touched it since Jan 2009 :smile:.
Me too Dec 1994. Well done guys.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm a lefty first, usual reasons, stronger right leg & if I do have a clipless I'd rather fall away from traffic or hopefully find a nice bollard or barrier to help keep me upright.

sounds far too advanced for me. I might get around to taking my stabilisers off soon!!!
me too. still can't ride no hands either, but am almost there, however I think for me tis slightly harder being slightly paralysed down my left side and not getting feed back from my lower left leg any more since it was redesigned by a dog & a major nerve severed behind the knee.
It is possibly one of those things I should have mastered as a child!

me too. still can't ride no hands either, but am almost there, however I think for me tis slightly harder being slightly paralysed down my left side and not getting feed back from my lower left leg any more since it was redesigned by a dog & a major nerve severed behind the knee.
It is possibly one of those things I should have mastered as a child!
I never did.

Radchenister

Veteran
If you are thinking of trying to go commando on the hand front i.e. 'no handed', the opposite of common sense applies, faster speed helps due to the gyroscopic effect holding your wheels in line, do avoid potholes etc.; I'm not condoning it mind (remember it's illegal if you're not in the pro peleton or wearing a full face helmet).

If you are thinking of trying to go commando on the hand front i.e. 'no handed', the opposite of common sense applies, faster speed helps due to the gyroscopic effect holding your wheels in line, do avoid potholes etc.; I'm not condoning it mind (remember it's illegal if you're not in the pro peleton or wearing a full face helmet).
I understand the principles of physics, just never did.

Radchenister

Veteran
I understand the principles of physics, just never did.

Great, just the person! Perhaps you can help with something I've been pondering recently; if a spaceman throws a cricket ball to Earth, could it get through the atmosphere without burning up? I am assuming theoretically that as to hold an orbit, said spaceman needs to be moving pretty quickly in relation to the planet's surface, it's probably impossible but I could do with some help from someone like you please.

Apologies to the OP for the thread hijack but this is an opportunity too good to miss.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I always unclip on the left, push off on the right.

On one occasion I tried unclipping on the right and instinctively leant left = fall over

flissh

I'm new to clipless, and have tended to unclip the left without thinking about it. Had one fall so far, unclipped with the left as usual then approached a junction slowly as it looked quiet, but had to peer round a hedge on the right to check it was clear and fell to the right:blush: My fault, tried to do it all without actually stopping....
went out this morning and unclipped both when a very large lorry came towards me on a very narrow lane as had to really slow down and now feel hyper aware of going over:eek:

Radchenister

Veteran
I'm new to clipless, and have tended to unclip the left without thinking about it. Had one fall so far, unclipped with the left as usual then approached a junction slowly as it looked quiet, but had to peer round a hedge on the right to check it was clear and fell to the right:blush: My fault, tried to do it all without actually stopping....
went out this morning and unclipped both when a very large lorry came towards me on a very narrow lane as had to really slow down and now feel hyper aware of going over:eek:

Smart move flissh, 'if in doubt, clip them out' - it's not rocket science ;) .

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I was always a right foot down first. Then I trained to be a Bikeability Instructor and you have to teach left foot down to lean away from traffic.
It took me a while to get out of the habit of right foot down even after I unclipped the left one :wacko:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I was always a right foot down first. Then I trained to be a Bikeability Instructor and you have to teach left foot down to lean away from traffic.
It took me a while to get out of the habit of right foot down even after I unclipped the left one :wacko:
- I can't understand why anyone would normally want to clip out RH foot first, given that we (usually) ride on the left. The Bikeability teaching looks to be correct. Does anyone clip in the LH foot first? Why?

Top Bottom