Which foot do you unclip? or which should you unclip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simmi

Über Member
I have just been reading a post from cc member typhon in which he describes his first clipless moment (gald you are ok mate!)
This got me thinking as to which foot i should unclip when i need to stop, typhon unclipped his left so ended up falling to the right and into the path of traffic.
I also always unclip my left as this seems the most natural to me.
Is this bad practice, is it a personal thing?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's a personal thing.
People say you should unclip on the left as your are leaning/falling away from the traffic.
But as your friend proved, you can fall either way.

I'm a right footer myself, that seems most natural to me.

I also always unclip my left as this seems the most natural to me.

People say you should unclip on the left as your are leaning/falling away from the traffic.
I'm a right footer myself, that seems most natural to me.

I always unclip with my left foot - but that leaves me leaning into the traffic here in Norway.

I am also a right-footer, but I've never been able to unclip to the right - and feel reluctant to try now - as it feels unnatural.

zizou

Veteran
It doesn't really matter however you should try to practice with your "bad" foot so you are able to do it comfortably with either should the situation need.

I genuinely dont know what side i normally do it with, will have to pay attention next time im out :biggrin:

ACS

Legendary Member
Left, same when I rode motorcycles.

Typhon

I normally clip out with the right but I was at a major junction of the A46 turning right and so I thought I'd unclip with the left and then I could use my stronger right foot to push off hard in a high gear and cross the road quickly. Only problem was when I unclipped my left and tried to put my foot down there was no road there! :laugh: Bloody uneven surfaces. :sad:

I think in future at major junctions I'm just gonna unclip both to be on the safe side!

lejogger

Guru
Always the left. I find it just makes it easier should you be inside traffic or on the left of an asl etc you can put that foot on the kerb which can be a more comfortable height than the tarmac.

Top Bottom