Which foot do you unclip? or which should you unclip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I didn't consider wear so will now try to alternate.

Unless you use MTB SPD's then you have nothing to worry about.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
At lights I unclip with the right, leaving the bike further into the lane (and gutter riders slip by on my left). But if I'm pulling up at the kerb I'll unclip kerbside (i.e. usually left).

I unclip with the same foot I clip in with, (left). But as you say you can then fall to the right.

But make a point, when you're coming to a stop, to unclip before you stop and then put your foot down further enough away from the bike so that you're not upright, or almost upright. If you put your foot 12 or 15 inches away then the bike will be leaned over when you're stationary reducing the likelihood of a fall to the right.

You'll only fall to the right when you get your centre of balance over on the right, so keep it left.

Canrider

Guru
Oh, honestly. Unclip both then reclip when you decide which way you're going to wind up leaning. This is not the science of rockets, and new cleats are cheap as (for those who worry about wear).

Oh, honestly. Unclip both then reclip when you decide which way you're going to wind up leaning. This is not the science of rockets, and new cleats are cheap as (for those who worry about wear).
I don't know I think rocket science is easy enough (I just cant do the maths), but these cleats are a law unto themselves

Canrider

Guru
I don't know I think rocket science is easy enough (I just cant do the maths), but these cleats are a law unto themselves
Are the pedals set too tight? I usually keep mine on the loosest possible setting, never had a problem. Remember you can still pedal on them when unclipped, just not with perfect power and verve.

Are the pedals set too tight? I usually keep mine on the loosest possible setting, never had a problem. Remember you can still pedal on them when unclipped, just not with perfect power and verve.
As loose as they will go, I think it's just a matter of getting the cleat right on the shoe (well thats what it seems to be), I don't have a problem unclipping ( I am used to clips so have to remember with them) I got some A530's so have a flat on one side and cleat on the other.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
On the old Pashley I had flat pedals; fine, except my feet would slip off the pedals on wet days. The Boardman replacement had toe clips, which I think I used twice before replacing the pedals with A530's. The idea was to have pedals that I could clip into on one side, but have the option of not wearing funny shoes if I was just nipping down to the pub shops. Having said that, I've never since ridden the bike in any footwear other than the SPD equipped shoes, and I do like the feel of positive connection that the bindings give. I have the bindings on the lowest tension, and don't have any trouble getting in or out, although I did nearly forget to unclip a few days ago. :blush:
Getting the cleat position right was a bit of a fiddle-faddle (ride a bit, adjust a bit, ride a bit more, adjust a bit again etc.) but everything seems good now.

Top Bottom