Which foot do you unclip? or which should you unclip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Unclip the left so I can push off with the right, that being my strongest leg.
And I'm the exact reverse of the above. Now I just need to move to a right lane travelling country, and I can do that convenient prop-the-unclipped-foot-on-the-kerb-thingy :rolleyes:.

Kies

Always left foot out first and I can do that convenient prop-the-unclipped-foot-on-the-kerb-thingy :rolleyes:

Right, that way when setting off your thrust (or torque steer), on the left side of the bike is away from the traffic at your side.

Always left foot out first and I can do that convenient prop-the-unclipped-foot-on-the-kerb-thingy :rolleyes:

Always found if I try that I overbalance to the right :sad:

Simple reason way, I used to have a serious drink problem, not touched the stuff since Nov 2011:smile:
Foot in mouth oooooops:ohmy:

Good for you on giving it up :thumbsup:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I usually mount the bike from the left, pavement side. Push off with my right foot, which has become clipped in first. Stopping - usually put left, pavement side, foot down first.
Oh, honestly. Unclip both then reclip when you decide which way you're going to wind up leaning. This is not the science of rockets, and new cleats are cheap as (for those who worry about wear).
Look Keo (Grip) cleats have a RRP of 19.99 - which is of course what the LBSs sell them for (minus any club discount). Hard to find them much less than £15 on line. May be cheap for you, but £18 - 20 for a couple of pieces of plastic seems way over the top to me. My LH cleat wears down quicker so I always move the RH to the LH pedal and put the new one on the RH to spread the wear when it needs changing.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've developed tendinitis in my Achilles from the constant over stretching of putting down my right foot at the lights on my commute (40 times a day on average).

always the right it seemed. I felt/feel the camber of the road favours the transfer of weight to the right, wouldn't want to fall down into the gutter.

I've adapted and am now a southpaw, plus I tend to favour the curb stones to avoid over stretching.

yello

There's no 'should', it's either which, I don't really think about it in truth. Whichever's the most appropriate I guess. It's more of an issue on fixed.

D

Deleted member 20519

I unclip my left if I need to stop at lights etc, if it's just slow moving traffic I'll try my best to trackstand.

Top Bottom