Which GPS / Phone Apps / Fitness Watches do you recommend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kj92

Currently I have a Polar Ignite watch, hooked up to the Polar app, which talks to the Strava App relatively well for fitness stuff... but I'm not done yet! I want a GPS-type device for the Brompton for when we're cycling about.

This is what's needed in my set up - can you help!?
- Watch - Heartbeat monitor & Communicates directly with the Strava app?!
- A GPS-type device I can clip onto the Brompton for directions when I'm cycling about

Very much a first world problem, but it's good to review these things when the world is a little bit topsy turvy... Makes you feel more in control :-)

Thanks,

Kate

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yahoo roam. It just works.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use a Wahoo Bolt and it is excellent. It does everything you need and more.

I dont wear a watch and so cannot help you there.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The big thing in cycling GPS used to be Garmin. They had the monopoly for years and never seemed to put things right with their units. Then Wahoo came along and really shook Garmin up and took a big part of their market. I think Garmin units have improved because of this.

But in my opinion they are not a patch on Wahoo. I have had my Wahoo Bolt for 2 or 3 years and use it every day. It never goes wrong and is so simple to set up and use. You can use your phone to plot a route on Strava, Komoot, Ride with GPS, Maplocs and more apps and it goes straight over to the Wahoo and off you go. Its very easy to follow and if you go the wrong way the unit beeps and flashes at you, to make you aware.

Have a look on Youtube. There are lots of clips. I have not known anyone switch from Garmin to Wahoo and then go back to Garmin.

Wahoo is simple to use and works really well. It is hugely popular with cyclists.

Venod

Eh up
There are lots of GPS devices for cyclists, with different features, the one stevindenmark mentioned is well thought of and popular, especially by people who have had enough of Garmin problems, but that's not saying Garmin are rubbish, the do a very good range, if you want maps I would recommend a larger screen, and for every person that has had problems with Garmin there are thousand of other happy users.
Wahoo and Garmin are the popular ones but others are available.
As for watches the choice is wider than GPS, I have just bought the wife and myself a Withings, not as sport looking or fixated as some, but excellent battery life.
You can get GPS for the bike that connects to a wearable Heart Rate Sensor.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

https://www.withings.com/uk/en/stor...g4Sts6PNxJ13zAxntzRoCNtMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'm another Wahooligan - I have a Bolt too and it has never let me down; on and off-road, longest ride of over 8 hours and still battery to spare. It's not the most sophisticated navigation system but it has always got me where I needed to go. If I was looking for a new one now I'd have a Roam.

OP
OP
kj92

kj92

I'm another Wahooligan - I have a Bolt too and it has never let me down; on and off-road, longest ride of over 8 hours and still battery to spare. It's not the most sophisticated navigation system but it has always got me where I needed to go. If I was looking for a new one now I'd have a Roam.

Interesting - when you say "not the most sophisticated nav system" what do you mean? Or is it not even worth metioning? Garmin and Wahoo both look amazing!

OP
OP
kj92

kj92

There are lots of GPS devices for cyclists, with different features, the one stevindenmark mentioned is well thought of and popular, especially by people who have had enough of Garmin problems, but that's not saying Garmin are rubbish, the do a very good range, if you want maps I would recommend a larger screen, and for every person that has had problems with Garmin there are thousand of other happy users.
Wahoo and Garmin are the popular ones but others are available.
As for watches the choice is wider than GPS, I have just bought the wife and myself a Withings, not as sport looking or fixated as some, but excellent battery life.
You can get GPS for the bike that connects to a wearable Heart Rate Sensor.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

https://www.withings.com/uk/en/stor...g4Sts6PNxJ13zAxntzRoCNtMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Withings look great!! Thanks for the tip, I might have to invest...!

figbat

Slippery scientist
Interesting - when you say "not the most sophisticated nav system" what do you mean? Or is it not even worth metioning? Garmin and Wahoo both look amazing!
On the Bolt you get a black-and-white map with a 'breadcrumb' trail - it shows you on the screen where you are and where the route goes, but doesn't re-route you if you go wrong. You have to plan the route using a phone linked to the device, or you can plan on a PC and have it 'synced' to your device. There are ways of making it to 'turn-by-turn' guidance using third-party planning software (komoot, Ride with GPS) but I have never done this and have never found the need to. I generally plan a route in Strava which gets automatically synced with my Wahoo account and onto the Bolt. If you want to plan a route whilst away from a PC or home you can use the Wahoo app on your phone and send it to the device there and then.

The Roam uses a full-colour screen and is more aimed at navigation, whereas the Bolt is more an activity tracker that happens to have some navigation capability. But as I said, the capability it has has been enough for me both on and off road.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I was in Spain a few years ago, i had a Garmin 800, kept loosing signal , one of the girls we where with had the Bolt and it never put a step wrong, She ended up leading the group for the rest of the week, there where a few others with Garmins, all having the same problem as me. The first thing i did when i got back home was order a wahoo elempt. But when they bought out the Wahoo roam, i ordered one, best navigation kit i have ever bought, since i have had it four mates have also bought one.

I use a Garmin Forerunner 245 Music for everyday use and running and walking exercise, the Forerunner 245 is the same watch but is cheaper as it doesn't include music capability.

On the bike I use a Garmin 520 GPS computer.

Both have been excellent, although I've only had the FR a couple of weeks but I've never had an issue with Garmin products, (touches wood), but I also don't do anything like the mileage of many others.

FWIW lets say there are 10 different manufacturers of the things you want, ask 10 different people and you'll likely get 10 different answers :wacko:

All I know is Garmin has always worked for me, over several computers and a couple of watches. Everything communicates and syncs perfectly, and for that reason, and despite glowing reports of alternative products, I believe in the old adage, if it 'ain't broke don't fix it.

Top Bottom